Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how do i get paternity testing done if we live in two different states?

me and my "babies father" are trying to get dna testing done. but i live in north carolina and he lives in texas. any info would be much appreciated! thanx

Answer Question

Asked by yayasmommi at 5:19 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • you can look in the phone book under dna testing. or paternity testing. they ususlly have a 1800 number you can call. try that.

    Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 5:20 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

  • You go to the same company that has different locations.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:21 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

  • For one you will probably need a court order and depending on states each state is different they will probably serve then the paternity papers he would have to go get tested and file that paper with the court and bam there is your paternity test.

    Answer by Nikky0803PAG at 5:26 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

  • You do not need a court order to do a test that both consent to

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:40 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

  • If both consent to the test, no court order is needed. Not sure how you would do it in 2 different states. He may have to come to your state. Call and talk to an attorney who speicalizes in child custody.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:19 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

  • you don't need the test to be court ordered. You both contact somewhere. Try DNA Diagnostic Centers (DDC). They will let both of you know a lab to go to in your respective states, then once you get the test done the swab will be sent to the same testing place. Once all the fees are paid (ours cost $500 dollars) they will send the results out. It takes 2 weeks to get the results back if you pay upfront.

    Answer by heatherann0221 at 6:43 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

  • I did it through court and they had me come to the court house where the lady swabbed me and the baby and he went to court in his state where he was swabbed and they were sent in. If you are both wanting one, you could get one of the over the counter test kits, have him do his swab and mail it back to you before you do yours and the babys and mail it in.

    Answer by kabbot01 at 8:18 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

  • If you filed for child support with the state they will do it all for you. If you just want it done privately you can call a local lab and ask for their "sister lab" in the other state to do the other test there. It has to be paid up front though.

    Answer by admckenzie at 8:18 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.