I'm trying to get my son who's 4 in preschool but its hard to get started or I don't want him to go to school because I'm afraid he's going to be a problem in school with his hyperactivity,people told me that once he goes to school he'll be fine but I was a problem child in school so as the saying goes like mother like child or is there something else holding me back from having a little time for myself?

wandaluv

Asked by wandaluv at 5:21 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My 4 year old started pre-school last fall when he was 3 - I was worried he would be a problem at school because he is SO busy, but he loves it and the teacher hasn't had complained once! :0)

Yes, we need a break and it's okay- it's a good thing!!
    lovnmy3boys

Answer by lovnmy3boys at 5:35 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Awwwwwww honey! You just don't want to let go! My son is SUPER hyper. I put him in daycare and believe me, it was a charm. I was the kid in kindergarten who was in the principal's office everyday! LOL. Is this your first? With my son, initially it was difficult because you get used to having him around and if you let him go to daycare, then he's "growin up". That's what freaked me out the most. That he wouldn't need me. The first couple of days were hard, but SO WORTH it! GL
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 5:23 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Have you tried to find a preschool that is half a day? It may just be that you are nervous about leaving him. So you may want to start with something that is only a few hours long, and in preschool they do so many activities b/c all kids that age want to run and play so they do stuff catered to that age group. I would get him enrolled that way he gets used to a "school" enviornment where things get done at a certain time and in a certain way that way when he gets to kindgergarden he is a litlte more accustomed to it so it won't be such a big adjustment. Just remember its for his benefit as much as it is yours so don't feel guilty that you want the alone time.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 5:25 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Some kids need a break from parents, too. If you are concerned about hyperactivity, it may be simply a matter of changing the way that you all eat. www.feingold.org has great guidelines, and fish oil caps (be sure to get a kid one) can be so helpful for improving attention (it can take several weeks to see improvement).

Answer by rkoloms at 6:58 PM on Apr. 13, 2009