BF can't join the Army. If you know about the military, please comment!

My BF had been talking to a recruiter & getting info, etc. He was going to join, but he was told that he'd have to wait 6 months b/c of some charge...not sure it was a misdemeanor or felony. It involved vandalizing a vehicle several years ago. I'm not exactly what charge is holding him back. I know it's nothing major. Someone on CM told me that many charges can get pardoned, depending on what it is. My BF didn't fully explain why he has to wait 6 months & quite frankly, I think he is BSing me. Have you heard of this 6 month rule? And if it is true that he can get his charge pardoned, I am going to push him to start back talking to the recruiter & go to MEPS. He was really excited about it & now he's unemployed & not doing anything w/ his life. I work, but I want him to do something to get back on his feet & maybe support his son like he needs to. I think the Army (or other branch) will be really good for him!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:30 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Money & Work

• Something is a little funny there. My cousin had 3 felony convictions. When he wanted to join the Army last year, they told him he needed to go to the judge and request that they be converted to misdemeanors. That's not the exact way they put it to him, but it's basically what they said. He went to the judge, explained that he had a son that he needed to support, no jobs in their area, and wanted to join the Army. The judge changed his felonies to misdemeanors and he joined up. He's on his way to Iraq or Afganistan later this yr. Now, I don't know exactly how the process worked for him, I got all this from my grandmother, but I know it can be done. The 6 months might be how long the process takes, although I don't think it took my cousin that long.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:06 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I started to join the Navy, but never followed through, but I did make it to MEPS and all of that. I also had a charge against me that I needed to get pardoned, but they never said anything about 6 months. I simply filled out a request for a pardon, and when I went to MEPS I met with the head lady and had a small interview with her explaining why I did what I did, and promising that I was a different person now and would never do it again (they were drug related charges). That was it, and it was pardoned, and I was aloud to continue the process as usual. Pretty simple.

But again, that was the Navy, not the Army.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 5:32 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I'm not sure if pardoned is the right word, but if it's an insignificant thing like a misdemeanor, then he should be able to get it expunged without any problems at all. Then it's as if he never commited the crime in the first place. Is the military something he REALLY wants to do? It's a big step, could he be afraid of going into the military? Have you tried talking to him about this?
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 5:33 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• The Marines don't care about that stuff. My husband had a public drunk on his record and nobody would take him. He went into the Marines, no problem. It has now been 9 years since he went in and he says it was the best thing he ever did. He finished in 2004 as a totally different, but much better man. It's the hardest branch to survive but they will take him.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 5:33 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• TheDiva, its not the crime itself that is being pardoned, its the military saying that they won't hold it against you. AND even if it is expunged they can look at it, the military can look at anything they want. I know - my "crime" was from when I was a teen, and I had my records sealed when I turned 18, and they were still able to see it and I had to sign papers releasing the information to them.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 5:35 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Ah, I gotcha Carolyn. I misunderstood the context.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 5:37 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Sounds like he doesn't want to go...
    Anonymous

• It all depends on if he has jail time or a warrant to serve or if he would be in violation of probation. he needs to contact the court and see if they will give him a reference letter to join. He can still go to meps and take the asvabs and get things in order but if he has jail time or a warrant issued they can not take him or if its in violation of probation.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 6:15 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• He is talking about getting a waiver for it, I can't tell you for sure how long it takes but 6 months is an awfully long time..I was thinking only a couple weeks.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 6:31 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I can only think of three reasons for the 6 months.
    1: the field he wants and qualifies for doesn't have an openning for another 6 months for the camp they are suppose to train at.
    2: that's the date he told his recruiter he would be back and ready to go to boot camp due to personal reasons and/or paperwork, etc.
    3: he's bsing

I can't tell you which it is. Sorry if it's confusing, this is what my cousin just was telling me when I was talking to him about it. He's going in the Navy in Dec.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:21 PM on Apr. 13, 2009