How can I get my 4 year old son to stop copying what he sees on television like he has 2 favorite shows The Backyardigans and Wow Wow Wubzy,he's driving me crazy with it but people think its cute that this child has a vivid imagination,he's real noisy with it from the time he gets up until he goes to bed,Am I just a stressed out parent or is this a big concern?

wandaluv

Asked by wandaluv at 5:40 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My 2 year old daughter loves Wow Wow Wubzy....She always tells me "That's cooky"-lol. It does tend to wind her up a bit more as I told my husband. She watches smalls amounts of tv, but most shows on Noggin are educational and age-appropriate. It's not a big concern, but try to re-direct his attention. We go to the library, park, read at home,color, paint, do crafts,play with other toys. Just turn off the tv and let him do other activities too.
    MandyT1021

Answer by MandyT1021 at 8:37 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• You're a stressed out parent.
    Anonymous

• I say stressed out parent. AND under stimulated kid...it will get better when it is warmer out and he can use his imagination outside.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 5:45 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• as long as it's a kid's tv show and not age inappropriate than he is just using his imagination to do what his favorite characters are doing, and well thats pretty common. its more of a phase he has to grow out of, but its his way of building his imagination up so just let him be.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 5:45 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• How to get him to stop? Don't let him watch tv. My children's attitude and behavior improved immensly when I took away their cartoons (and I had only even let them watch preschool stuff).

As for whether it's a big concern versus stress. I'd say it's a moderate concern, but the stress is going to turn it into a big one.
    cedailey

Answer by cedailey at 6:53 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• A four year old shouldn't be watching more than one hour of television a day. You are the grownup, and you get to choose what the child is allowed to watch. It is important that you watch with your child, and discuss behavior that you see as inappropriate.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:56 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• yep, stressed out parent!! why don't you watch another show WITH him? like Zooboomafoo (that's my favorite, it's humans and animals)? then maybe he'll at least immitate things you like :)
    aprildrake

Answer by aprildrake at 7:06 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• its understandable that the jingles and weird wow wow wubbzy wubbzy wubbzy wow wow song, and other things get annoying. my son watches those show as well as the wonder pets. he even picked up "smelling" from little bill, he knows to use his nose to smell. it may be annoying, but those shows are ok for him to watch, and are educational....we stick to noggin, no commercials and no toy ads :)
    m4m4

Answer by m4m4 at 8:45 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Stressed out. Take a breather.
    prettymama0607

Answer by prettymama0607 at 9:11 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Stressed out. I think it's a four year old thing. You'll be fine once he's got something else to occupy his time. Warmer weather approaches. Teach him a few of your favorite songs. :)
    ErikaRobin

Answer by ErikaRobin at 10:13 PM on Apr. 13, 2009