putting to sleep

my son is 5 months old and i've been reading on here all the time about ways to get him to sleep better. and i've tried everything and nothing has worked. well today i decided to stop thinking about it so much and rocked him to sleep like i used to, and layed him in his crib, instead of letting him fall asleep on his own. well he took 2 1.5 hour naps today, and he usually only take 15 minute naps. do you think this is okay, to not teach him to self soothe. he went to sleep so much faster too.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:41 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Anything that works for you honey. The self soothing is not something that should be a major concern until they are closer to (or over) a year old.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 5:43 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• For your sake, i think that putting him to sleep yourself is ok once in a while. But you don't want to make it a habit. The reason being is that as he gets older, he'll get used to you putting him to sleep and it will be hard to get him to do it on his own. The idea of self-soothing is for down the line, to help you out.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 5:43 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• If i let my dd self-soothe.........i would get ABSOLUTLY NO SLEEP AT ALL!!!! because she would never go to sleep. we have a routine (VERY ESSENTIAL). She gets her babyfood, her bath, wrapped in her fave blankets, taken into her room (where its very dim, with only the sound of her sound ease and her heart beat bear) She gets her night-time bottle, and the she is rocked until she falls asleep, which by that time only takes about 2 minutes. The way i feel about it is, if my dd needs me to go to sleep, then i will be there for her.
    TNT8687

Answer by TNT8687 at 5:45 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I say do what works for you and your baby but that is my thoughts. I found an interesting article on WebMD that explained to me baby sleeping patterns. Maybe you can find some use in it.

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/guide/how-much-sleep-do-children-need
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 5:46 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• my son rarely self-soothes.. and he's 2. If you and your son get more sleep with you rocking him, rock him! I co-sleep with mine and I nurse them both to sleep. it gives me time to relax with them. but what works best for YOUR BABY. I'm sure he loves the extra cuddle time with mommy!
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 6:39 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• It's too early to expect him to self soothe. Even sleep training advocates say NOT to do it till six months at the earliest.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:06 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I do think that self soothing is really important. You don't want to have him rely on you forever. That being said, he is only 5 months. I wouldn't stress about it. You did fine by rocking him to sleep. You definitely don't want him to get overtired. I would work on gentle ways to teach him to self soothe. CIO is not the only way to teach your child to put themself to sleep. I highly recommend the book Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. It is wonderful and will teach you when and how to sleep train effectively.
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 8:19 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Don't worry about it! Your child is A BABY, you are his MOTHER, you are supposed to soothe him. He will learn to self-soothe when all his needs have been met as a child. Western culture has an unnatural preoccupation with independence for young children. Security fosters independence, you being there for your child builds security, so don's worry. Try a consistent routine at nighttime though and a mini routine before nap. Routines seriously saved my life!
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 3:26 AM on Apr. 14, 2009