How do I get my 2 1/2 year old to go potty when we are at the store?

My so is not completly potty trained but we're getting there. It would be really great if when we at the store or doctors if he would use the potties there. Hes just afraid to sit on the larger toilets? Hes also getting too big for his potty seat, but throws a fit if I try to sit him on the regular toilet without his seat.

kathycompton

Asked by kathycompton at 5:41 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• They make fold-up adaptors that will fit in a diaper bag for use out in public. They also make small, fold-up potties for the same purpose. Either one may help.
    If you do use the big toilets (with or without an adaptor) be sure to put some post-it notes in your bag. If it's an auto-flush potty, put a post-it note over the sensor so it won't auto-flush while he's on it or standing next to it pulling up his pants.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:44 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• My dd is 2.5 & is potty training. When we leave the house I put her portable potty in my backseat, before we get out I will ask her if she needs to go potty (shes said No so far) but atleaste she would be OK using her own potty for now...
    I also still carry a diaper bag-- its not the "traditional diaper bag" just a large bag. & I put the little seat that you put ontop of the toilet... which i dont even know if it would work on public toilets since some can be pretty large, the little seat my fall through..?
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 5:57 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• We used a regular potty ring (I think made by munchkin) on the big potty at home, and took it with us at first. I couldn't find the folding one everyone talks about... so we just brought the bigger one. But she was fearless if we put that thing on. A couple of months later, we didn't have to bring it anymore, I'd just hold her up. And now she wants to hold herself up.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:52 PM on Apr. 13, 2009