The difference between bread machine yeast and just "regular" yeast?

I have made yeast rolls in my bread machine w/ regular yeat, but have seen bread machine yeast. Is there a difference? I noticed my bread machine bread recipe says to use "bread machine yeast", but do I have to?

huntannakay

Asked by huntannakay at 6:13 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Bread machine yeast is, I think....more alive than regular yeast. I'm not sure if that's the right description. It's a yeast that works better with the way the machine makes the dough. I'm sorry, I guess I'm not much help. lol
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:43 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• It would seem no one knows this answer! Tropicalmama: Your answer makes sense though. Thanks for trying!
    huntannakay

Answer by huntannakay at 2:24 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I use just regular active dry yeast in my bread machine and my bread always turns out just fine. :) I didn't even know bread machine yeast existed!
    soldierswifey05

Answer by soldierswifey05 at 1:53 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I can't find anything that specifically answers the question, but it seems that bread machine yeast doesn't require the proofing the active dry yeast does. So it can be added directly into the dry ingredients and you don't have to add it to warm water to activate it.
    Mommy22boys

Answer by Mommy22boys at 2:23 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Since I can't edit my answer here's a better one: http://www.ehow.com/facts_5501256_bread-vs-active-dry-yeast.html
    Mommy22boys

Answer by Mommy22boys at 2:24 PM on Jul. 17, 2010