Im 10 weeks pregnant and my placenta is resting on my cervix...Should I be worried that my DR. says gentle sex is ok, even though I've only ever heard NO SEX?

Im just a little worried that my husband, my doctor, and I all have different opinions on what constitutes "gentle sex". Not to mention, I've been researching and my pregnancy book even says "no sex".
My Dr's opinion obviously influences me, but her argument was that it's very early and this problem usually fixes itself. She basically gave me a 95% chance that this problem will go away and I will have a normal pregnancy. Also, she said since there's no bleeding with sex up til this point, I should be fine doing what I'm doing. Does anyone have a dr. whose said this, or even had a completely different opinion?

Momma-Munchies

Asked by Momma-Munchies at 6:17 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You can have sex during pregnancy at any and all stages unless told other wise. Gentle sex means nothing rough, slow and soft. No wild and crazy hair pulling knocking you off the bed and busting the headboard sex. THe problem will fix itself given time. Good luck
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 6:20 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Why risk it?
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 6:20 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• if you have placenta previa which is what i have. then i would do no sex. im on plevic rest which means no sex until further notice, but if i was given a chance to decide whether or not to have sex i still wouldnt do it.
    ALLIE637

Answer by ALLIE637 at 6:21 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I had that...also called placenta previa. I was further along when I found out though because I started spotting. If you're worried, I would just refrain from it for awhile, lol. If you start spotting, call the doc right away.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 6:21 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Did your Dr. say it was Placenta Previa? Because that is what you described. Typically with P.P. no sex, no heavy lifting, light housework only. You are very early in pregnancy and with all likelihood it will fix itself. If you don't take it very easy until it does you risk losing the pregnancy as far as I can see.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:25 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Your doctor knows more of what he/she is talking about then the women on here. If there's no bleeding then I wouldn't worry. Usually a previa in early pregnancy corrects itself as your uterus grows
    Anonymous

• I agree with your Dr, if there hasnt been aproblem up till now then you can continue safely doing what you have been doing, but nothing rougher than that. This is very common in early pregnancy and yes, it usually does correct itself, I had it with my 1st son and by the 3 trimester it was actually resting high in my uterus.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 6:29 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• You are only 10 weeks along, there is ZERO reason to have even had a previa diagnoses. Your uterus has barely begun growing, so obviously the placenta wont be wear it should be. Previa's generally shouldn't even be diagnosed until after 20 weeks, I find it odd that they even mentioned it now.

yes, 90-95 percent of them clear up on their own and there is no reason not to have sex. You aren't bleeding, or in pain, so have sex. The ONLY reason I was put on pelvic rest with my previa was because of bleeding. It was diagnosed at 15 weeks when I went to the ER thinking I was miscarrying. It had completely cleared by 20 weeks. :)

I would go with what your doctor said. Bed/Pelvic rest are usually over prescribed. Sex wont effect your placenta.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 6:30 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I had placenta previa also and was told no sex at all. of course I also had a tear in my uterus from implantation & was on bed rest for weeks. I wasn't allowed to do a lot of things. they say it does usually correct itself (thats what I was told early on as well but mine never did move) I wouldn't but only bc I didn't listen and had 'calm very soft' sex & ended up gushing blood. it was terrifying to put it mildly
    theheartbaby

Answer by theheartbaby at 6:33 PM on Apr. 13, 2009