How can I get my 4 month old to eat from a spoon?

jacquekrumblis

Asked by jacquekrumblis at 6:22 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If your 4 month old does not or doesn't seem to be getting the hang of it then your 4 month old isnt' ready
    Anonymous

• Babies all have the thrust motion to push the spoon out. Keep trying and they will catch on. They usually don't catch on until 4.5 to 5 months old. Patients is a virtue and so is consistency.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 6:32 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• at 4 months your baby isn't ready to eat solids.
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 6:36 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Your child is trying to give you a sign his body may not be ready for food! Its a natural way of protecting itself! Most babies are not ready for solids until atleaste 6mo. or longer.
    Do some research online about this.. You will get alot of info about why it could be bad for your child to feed him to early.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 6:39 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• just keep trying, your LO will get the hang of it eventually. it took my son a couple days, and my daughter a week. just make sure you dont put too much on the spoon, or it will be harder for your LO to keep in their mouth. just have patience and be persistant :)
    HelloKitty86

Answer by HelloKitty86 at 6:43 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• you don't, if he's not getting the hang of it, then stop and try it again in a couple of weeks. i personally think babies don't need cereal until the earliest is 6 months, and even doctors say that. they just tell the parents what they want to hear because it's not worth fighting them about it. and yes, i took a class on this, and had a few doctors tell me this myself. parents just want to give them cereal at an early age to get them to sleep longer at night, using it for acid reflux is an excuse too. there's plenty of other ways to help reflux without cereal. sorry i had to vent for a sec
    Anonymous

• They have to learn to eat off a spoon it will take a bit.. just keep offering and eventually they will pick it up. :)
    timandisaacsmom

Answer by timandisaacsmom at 6:48 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Like the others said LO is not ready if they still have the tongue thrust. My kids didn't want anything to do with food until they were about 7-8 months old. The AAP and WHO say nothing but breastmilk or formula until ATLEAST 6 months because most LOs digestive system can't handle anything else and losing the tongu thrust is a sign that their digestive systems are ready.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:23 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I'd have to say that you wait until they are ready. IMO 4 months is too early for anything besides breast milk or formula.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:33 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• my son is 4 mths old. He's doctor and everyother DR that my children had told my hubby and I its ok to give solids between 4-6mths old. I just started feeding him solids and so far so good. he's not use to eating with a spoon so its gonna take time and practice. Good luck mama!!!
    kyheavensmom

Answer by kyheavensmom at 7:49 PM on Apr. 13, 2009