how much should i charge for babysitting?

first of all, i have a 23 month old and an 8 month old... i will be watching my nephew, 14 months old and still in diapers... my husband says i should charge AT LEAST minimum wage, plus a little... i'm sitting for my sis so i don't want to over charge her, but at the same time i can't be underpaid... also, this will be starting at 6:00 am thru 6:00 pm at least 2 days a week, and our schedule is in tune with my husband's work schedule which is 3:oo pm to 12:00 am, so... i will lose plenty of sleep having to get up so early... any questions, just ask...

mistresscheree

Asked by mistresscheree at 6:23 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Money & Work

• i would say around 50 honestly she is your sister and its not like the kids are strangers!!! they are your nieces and nephews so you get paid and have the luxery of spending time and getting closer to them!!!!!!!!! and its two days a week not bad at least its not 5
    ashleystoner86

Answer by ashleystoner86 at 9:11 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• The going rate is usually about 5 an hour per child. So I would start there or do a set rate of 50 or 60 a week if its only 2 days a week. What can she afford? Does she have a high paying job or a waitressing job that is mostly tip based? It all depends on what she can afford. I would start at $60 for the 2 days or maybe $75 if she can afford it.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 6:26 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I would go with the $60 or $75 for the two days. Unless you are providing diapers, in that case a little more to cover maybe $5 more b/c you aren't going to have to buy a pack every time you babysit. Talk to your sister, see what she can afford and go from there
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 6:36 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• x i will be providing food and drink...
    mistresscheree

Answer by mistresscheree at 6:42 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• 80-90 a day is minumum wage. but day cares normally charge $30 a day for 8-10 hours and $5 extra for each hour after that. so really I wouldn't charge anything more than a day care provider if you want to be fair to your sister. (which would be $40-50 a day). Plus it depends on the state that you live in, prices vary. I'm in western New York... and that's the price ranges around here.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:28 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I pay $25 a day -- four days @ 6-8 hours each day.
    Anonymous

• Our local day car charges $5 an hour- I don't know how you could charge more than that. Even though you need an income, you have to look at it from your sister's perspective. How much is she making? If it's only $10 an hour, can you really take half her wage? Even if it's $15, taking $5 an hour from that is quite a chunk. I personally would go for $3 or $4 an hour- that way your sister doesn't look elsewhere for a babysitter, and it is still worth it for her to go to work (assuming that's what she is doing.)

BTW my neighbor charges $2.50 an hour....
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 11:17 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I agree with the other moms. You can't charge minimum wage unless she is making big bucks. A daycare or home provider is going to charge around $3 hour. Otherwise no one could afford to work!
    4kidsandadog

Answer by 4kidsandadog at 11:35 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I pay 2.75 an hour for my 4 month old and 2.50 and hour for my 3 year old
    In michigan
    cutiepieusa879

Answer by cutiepieusa879 at 12:04 AM on Apr. 14, 2009