fear of dolls PIOC

I am 38 weeks pregnant with a little girl but I suffer fromPediophobia. How am I going to overcome this fear so she can be a normal girl and play with baby dolls?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:26 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• well, my daughter is 10, and to be honest she hasnever really cared for dolls. She has a few but could care less. She loves her stuffed animals more. She also prefers (if she has to have a doll), that it be bald. Would a rag doll bring out your fears? Or is it the more life like dolls that upset you? I hate snakes (to the point that I have a parental block on Animal Planet) but stuffed ones are tolerable, as long as they are cartoonish. There is also the possiblity of maybe getting her a My Twinn doll, they are expensive, but they are made to look like your own child so maybe the resemblence would be enough that it wouldn't scare you so much but that's probably a long shot, as much as I love my kids if there was a snake around them, I don't know that I would be able to save them. If they all upset you, don't worry about it, she'll develop fine regardless. But if it becomes a problem maybe she can have some at a relative's.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 6:38 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Therapy. They have specialist who will help you with it by putting them around you in a room then closer and closer to you. That is your best bet
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 6:27 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Seriously what is that? Not being an ass or anything but I don't understand, are you really afraid of dolls? To what extent?
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 6:42 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I just looked it up and it said fear of children or dolls. Did you have a bad experience as a youth?
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 6:51 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• No i had no bad experiences (that I can remember) my mother said it started when I was around 4. Some people with Pediophobia are afraid of small children also, but I'm not one of them. A rag doll might possibly be tolerable. I'm extremely embarrassed of my phobia. I just want my daughter to be a normal baby girl, baby doll included
    Anonymous

• I don't know how to answer your question, but don't be embarrassed! My brother is almost 30 and is terrified of dolls to this day. :-( It sounds "silly" to have such a fear but I've seen him angry/scared/upset when some of his friends tried to scare him on purpose. It's so very real despite even him realizing the doll isn't going to do anything. I hope that you can overcome your fear and people will be understanding and not critical. :-( I hope you have a quick, safe, & easy delivery!!
    ErinMarie123

Answer by ErinMarie123 at 11:24 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I would go shopping in a toy store and keep walking down the doll isle over and over and over until the fear no longer was there. While you are doing it repeat the words dolls are beautiful and they are toys that little girls play with. Think of them as if you would your own child imagine dressing them up, take yourself back to the litttle girl stage and imaging playing and dressing them and keep telling yourself it's fun to play dress up and be a pretend Mommy, make believe for a day. If that doesn't work try hypnosis.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 10:42 AM on Apr. 14, 2009