Why do Christians pay tithes and offerings?

diamondmamma

Asked by diamondmamma at 6:44 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• My personal reason is this.... I do it out of obedience to His Word. Not so I can get something but so I can bless GOD! Does He need the money ? NO but He wants to see where my heart is at in this area. I do not tithe to keep a church open or a pastor paid ... that was never in the bible anyway. It is an act of obedience to the Lord. The church needs to use it wisely. I always hope it goes towards missions. Offerings are different than tithes.. that is above and beyond the tithe itself and I do that to bless perhaps the visiting preacher or the benevolence fund or the Kingdom Training school ect.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:44 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• To help pay the bills.
    mommiejay453

Answer by mommiejay453 at 6:46 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Because most believe that the Bible requires it. There are examples of God's people giving part of what they earn back to God (in forms of supporting the church or those doing God's work) in both the Old and New Testament.

For me, I believe that it is something God requires of me. I believe that everything that I have comes from God and that if I am faithful and give back to God, it will not cause me to go without. Giving back to God is the least I can do for what he has done for me.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 6:46 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• The reason we tithed in my family growing up was that it is commanded in the Bible, and it's needed for the church to run any programs it has. Now at church I give offerings as I can, because I know that if I want the church to run smoothly, and have fun programs and activities, and supplies for the children's rooms... well, I'm willing to throw my couple of bucks into the basket for that. I have thought about tithing again, but instead of it necessarily going to my church, using that 10% of my income to go toward charity or causes I support. (My church is a "cause" I support, as well, though.)
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 6:51 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I remember in church the preacher used to ask for money like 3 times to come to a certain amount for church and my grandmother used to give her last dime faithfully and always ended up broke and behind on bills. Im like ok you give but what do you get afterwards. Eternal Life?
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 6:54 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Christians tithed because we feel that it is required but not only that we owe it to God. We are blessed with the things that we have because of God and if it wasn't for him, we wouldn't have anything. Eternal life is goal that all Christians want to reach. Tithes are only 10 percent of what you make and i believe in my heart that God is worth everything I have and more and the fact that is all that he has asked for i could at least offer that up to him. Considering He did Give his life for us.
    Anonymous

• We don't Tithe, as Jehovah's Witnesses we believe that we should give according to what we have and what our heart moves us to give, Tithing was for the Priesthood of Israel and as Christians they did not support the Priesthood arrangement anymore. I'll post Scriptures to show this, BRB

lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 7:37 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• OK, the primary purpose of the tithing arrangement under the Law had been to support Israel’s temple and priesthood; consequently the obligation to pay tithes would cease when that Mosaic Law covenant came to an end as fulfilled, through Christ’s death on the torture stake. (Eph 2:15; Col 2:13, 14) It is true that Levitical priests continued serving at the temple in Jerusalem until it was destroyed in 70 C.E., but Christians from and after 33 C.E. became part of a new spiritual priesthood that was not supported by tithes.—Ro 6:14; Heb 7:12; 1Pe 2:9. Instead of giving fixed, specified amounts to defray congregational expenses, they were to contribute “according to what a person has,” giving “as he has resolved in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.” (2Co 8:12; 9:7)

lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 7:38 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Anon :35 he did it out of the goodness of his heart so why should he be paid back. Of course we could never repay him. Is giving him our souls payment enough or is it another scheme for the church to get rich?
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 7:43 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• lmao, to pay for things. If you live where I live, you'll see just where that money really goes. The minister of a church (won't name), is part of the same Yacht club as my parents. Has a beautiful 45ft boat, a new caddy, a trophy wife, etc. It's really pretty messed up.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:09 PM on Apr. 13, 2009