Do you let your baby CIO for nap time? When they are older?

My 9 m/o has been putting up the biggest fights when I know he's really tired. It's getting old doing this every day for nap time.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:48 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I did, shes 3 now and doesn't really take naps every day but some days if she wakes up early enough and I can tell shes getting tired I still have to do it. Shes very much one of those I want to be there for every second anyone is awake kind of kids
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 6:51 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• No, we never did CIO, for any reason, ever. If they didn't want to nap, I never made them; if they were really tired and needed it, I would hold them and parent them to sleep - or if I couldn't do that, in the sling or wrap they went, and they can go to sleep on my back while I do whatever it is that is that pressing. No muss, no fuss, no tears!
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 6:55 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• what is CIO?
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 6:58 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Cry it out.
    Anonymous

• With my 19 month old, when she was 12 months old, I had to do CIO with her a little.

I never let her get hysterical or cry for very long periods of time, but she most often went down without so much as a tiny whimper. Still true. And now, if she does cry when I lay her down, I know that I should go in and hold her a little bit.

Each child is different. My eldest would NOT be put in a crib ever. She would not have it. She is 5 and now is so afraid of sleeping alone she still sleeps with us. She will grow out of it I know, but it can be challenging.

I'm just glad my second was easy to transition to a crib and doesn't seem to want to sleep with anyone.
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 7:13 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• No, I've never let any of my kids CIO.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 7:51 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• "we're not managing an inconvenience, we're raising a human being." I think CIO is abusive.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 8:05 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• No. My son is 18 months old and has never had to cry it out.
    NoNonsenseMama

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 8:06 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I would look at when she is going down for the naps. She should prob. still be taking 2. The first one about 2-3 hours after waking and the second in the early afternoon. Maybe she is putting up a fuss because she is overtired. I would try to do some intense stimulation in the morning with an extra long soothing time and put her down for her nap. If she is only taking one try to make it earlier before she gets extra tired. Then I would leave her in the crib for 1 hour. If she doesn't nap take her out and try the next nap time earlier or make bedtime earlier. Good luck!
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 8:13 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• no when she started fighting and crying at naptime I decided she didn't need a nap anymore. OF course she didn't start fighting nap time until she was almost three
    geminishadow79

Answer by geminishadow79 at 8:57 PM on Apr. 13, 2009