Does anyone have any suggestions on how to help get your kid to talk sooner?

Well, I'm on to my second question now! Dante doesn't seem to want to learn how to talk. He can say mama, dada, done and that but everything else is communicated by sign language. Don't get me wrong, Tom and I love the fact that hes learned so many signs from watching Baby Einstein but we really want to hear him talk! His doctor suggested the Early Intervention program which will send a speech therepist over once or twice a month but somehow we don't see how that will work very well if its only a few times a month. Does anyone else have this problem? Or did have this problem and over came it?

sexy.mama2583

Asked by sexy.mama2583 at 7:09 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My grandson uses a speak therapist and has done great. He was signing and now talking. His big problem is he couldn't hear out of one ear. Reg peds couldn't find the problem. It took a specialist (ENT) to find it. He put in tubes and the boy can hear fine now. He'll be 2 next month. He's done amazingly well with the speech therapist though. With that said, my oldest dd didn't speak until she was 3. She just didn't have anything to say. She could communicate with us without speaking. One day she just started blabberling and has not shut up since and that was 30 yrs ago! lol Your child will be fine.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:12 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• i've often heard about kids getting too dependent on signing and it potentially delaying talking. i'm glad i didnt do signing. just keep repeating the word for what it is, maybe when he signs you say what it is with words. GL with the therapy too.
    m4m4

Answer by m4m4 at 9:18 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Signing can delay speech a little since the drive to make himself understood is not there - he is already understood. But remember, signing also speeds up a lot of other brain development.

By 18 months, doctors like to see 10 to 20 words. He's close so he may not need much to push him over that "verbal edge". If he's been recommended for speech therapy, I'd go. The therapist will give you things to do at home, games to play, things to try. Think of it this way... what can it hurt?
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:22 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• My son went to an Early Intervention program, and now that we moved and his new teacher comes once a week for an hour.. It helped him out a lot.. They showed him to sign MORE PLEASE.. Now he is saying it.. He went to the school for a month before we moved and he was potty trained, and talking and doing more things.. Now we kept on him we would tell him to use his words and say what he wants and have him say it we just kept that going and now he is saying anything and everything and its getting clear and we can understand him more and more everyday. Now they will drop him on his 3ed b-day but I have him starting a 3 year old toddler Early Intervention program to keep up on his stuff its like a Pre K but for kids with speech delays ect. I was told by his new teacher to stop with the signing. because if they start with signing its their first language and speaking is the 2 language and it makes it harder for them
    DiscoveryToys09

Answer by DiscoveryToys09 at 11:59 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• We never thought my son would start "really talking." At two years old, he used the essential words but nothing else. We never baby talked to him, and we continued to speak like adults to him (though in a softer tone). Let it be know that by two and a half, he woke up one day and out of no where said "mommy, its raining, I want some milk." I kid you not. he was just waiting until he had full sentences I guess. it was really weird, but exciting. Don't stress. We were at the point you are at now, and the doctors now say that at 3 years and 5 months, he has a 5 year olds vocabulary. Just relax
    bpayson23

Answer by bpayson23 at 2:42 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Our pedi actually said at 18 months they should say between 4 and 10 words. How old is your son? Does he fit into that catagory? My son also knows some sign language and communicates that way, too! :)
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 10:37 AM on Apr. 14, 2009