As a Christian, how do you pick & choose what to follow & what not?

As a Christian how do you choose what you are going to follow in the bible & what you are not going to follow.
For example: Wearing dresses, Not cutting your hair, Wearing a head cover, ect..

MommaTasha1003

Asked by MommaTasha1003 at 7:16 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I choose to follow the New Testament. You're quoting "laws" from the Old Testament.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 7:31 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I think the fact that the bible has had to be translated and interpreted plays a big role.
    Anonymous

• I think that people follow what they feel in their heart that is right. But I always thought that is you didn't agree with part of it, you didn't agree with any of it, but that's just me.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 7:25 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• FIRELASS, no disrespect but why just the NT?
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:38 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I see if it lines up with the Bible and if it does then i take it and if it doesnt I leave it....
    ministrymom

Answer by ministrymom at 7:39 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I think it depends on what the Christian's particular focus is. For some, the Church is the ultimate authority, with the responsibility and god-given ability to interpret the Bible and determine how the people are to live their lives. For others, the Bible is the inerrant word of God and is the ultimate authority to which the people and the church must align with. For others, the Holy Spirit is the ultimate authority, as it guides and teaches each person as an individual - the Bible and Church teachings are second to the leading of the Spirit. These three different focuses create clear differences in interpretation, perspective, and approach.

And EireLass, there are verses in the New Testament that do point to the covering of the woman - which some believe literally means a cloth veiling of the hair to show modesty and submission before God. It's not just a OT thing.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 7:41 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• midnightmoma........because I'm a Born Again Christian.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 8:04 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Collinsky..........yes, just as there are phrases referencing "spare the rod, spoil the child". Taken out of context, we should all be whipping our kids with sticks, right? To read and understand the entire passage, it really references a flock of sheep and the sheppard. Meaning, the rod is a "guide". We are to guide our children.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 8:06 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• great response collinsky!
    i agree - if something the bible says doesn't line up with the conviction God has put in my heart then i go with what i feel led to believe, rather than the bible (i'm a fallibist, though...).
    i also try to understand the reason/meaning the part in question had when it was written, and the history/etc that goes with it, and compare it to other parts of scripture and so on.(for example, i believe He said no pork b/c they didn't know how to cook it correctly and He didn't want them getting sick, although i don't like or eat pork)
    i also believe that everyone has a different relationship with God than everyone else - my relationship with Him isn't the same as yours, for instance, because i'm different than you, think differently, have different needs/ways of interpreting things/understandings/etc, and therefore i relate to Him differently than you, and you relate to Him differently than the next person.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:07 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Eirelass, that is a perfect example of interpreting the bible.
    Others take it literally.
    Anonymous