my 23 month old is a chronic screamer!

he screams when he doesn't get what he wants, he screams when he wants something and i'm not fast enough, he screams when we leave the house, when my husband kisses me, YOU NAME IT! i try and say "use your words, dylan!" but he's got limited vocabulary and short on patience, so that ends sometimes in just crying...anyone have similar experience/how did you handle/did they grow out of it??

aprildrake

Asked by aprildrake at 7:22 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sometimes it's hard to stand your ground but you have to start practicing being firm. My son wasn't a constant screamer but I have a doozy of neice who I like to call the wild thornberry baby(name form the cartoon)lol. My older sister showed all of us a strategy that has worked since her 17 yr old. When the baby starts crying or defiantly screaming you just say " go do that in your room" and you escort them to the room. Let them stay there as long as they need to checking on them from time to time and ask "do you feel better now?" If they're still screaming and acting all crazy just let them do their thing. If they try to come out make sure you escort them back in their room and let them know nicely but firmly that they can come out when they feel better( in your case, stop screaming) DONT use the words "when u stop screaming" because u don't want them to try use it as a weapon tactic. After a while they'll get it.
    heartstrength

Answer by heartstrength at 7:36 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• When my son tried to start that, I bought a nanny 911 book, talked to everyone who cared for my son about what we were going to be doing now, and we all started following the new rules to a tee. Within a week or two, it was all over. Whenever we think he's "starting it up again" we start up again as well, and its squashed the very same day.
    bpayson23

Answer by bpayson23 at 2:27 AM on Apr. 14, 2009