Do you think a college education makes you a better parent?

I don't. I was reading a previous question and a lot of moms brought up a lack of education in another mother. They didn't know they just assumed that since she was yound and had small kids she was uneducated.

I graduated HS with a 4.0 gpa and 2 scholerships to college. I chose to choose neither and instead married my husband and wanted to have a child. After a year of being married we started trying and got preg right off. We have now been married 4 years.

I hate the assumtion that all young mothers are stupid or uneducated. I personally was gonna wait till my son was in school then I was gonna start going to college myself.

Anyways, are you a young mom who chose being a mother over going to school?

lstrickland

Asked by lstrickland at 7:36 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Honey I am 62 years old married for almost 40 years to the same man and never went to college. My husband is a retired Navy Captain still working and we have 2 wonderful daughters and 2 grandchildren. We are friends with people from all over the world, have traveled, and have more common sense than most people with degrees. Of the ones with degrees only about 5% actually are in the field they majored in. My husband went to college and ROTC. We know several multi millionaires who never went to college but started their own businesses. So don't let anyone put you down ever. You can be whatever you want to be if you have a dream.
    Scorpio359

Answer by Scorpio359 at 7:47 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Yes I do. It shows your child how motivated you are to achieve things. We tell our kids we want them to get an education and to go to college....it's hypocritical not to. It puts me in a better position to financially suppor them. It also means that I planned my life before them and set up a good life before they got here.
    Anonymous

• Well we have some people who parents and grandparents didn't have even a highschool education and they turned out to be successful as kids and adults so no it doesn't matter, but good point anon 38:
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 7:40 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I'm the first anon...another thing is that if my hubby and I were to not work out (not that I think we won't). I would be able to stand on my own two feet and not rely on anyone.
    Anonymous

• Yes, I am a young Mom, and I chose not to go to college. I married my husband of almost 2 years a year after we graduated, and we now have two wonderful little boys, a 1 year old and a 2 month old. If you ever want to chat lstrickland, feel free to message me =)
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 7:43 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• The first Anon says "We tell our kids we want them to get an education and to go to college....it's hypocritical not to."

But as someone who graduated college myself, I would not tell me child that. It will ALWAYS be "Do what makes YOU happy honey." not do what makes ME happy as a mother.

If my child wants to finish highschool and college - GREAT! If she wants to just marry young and raise her own family - GREAT! If she wants to travel around the world - GREAT!
    Whatever makes her happy.

In answer to your question, no. I think a good mom is agood mom, no matter what her achievements.
    Anonymous

• No, it doesn't. A healthy dose of life and common sense is what makes you a better parent. Most young moms may have the common sense, but by definition they won't have had that healthy dose of life...they aren't old enough.

You're a better parent if you go into a marriage knowing and being able to support yourself if you need to.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:49 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Oh heck no. I have a been through college as well as graduated with a  several degrees. there are a lot of things that school just can't teach a person!

MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 7:51 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• scorpio- This isn't the 60's. With a 1in 2 chance of divorce and the economy the way it is....it's NOT a wise decision to NOT go to college.  A Bachelors degree is the bare minimum now.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 7:53 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Not formal education... my best friend became a mother young and never went on to college - she is intelligent and a great mother. I know people who have college degrees, even advanced degrees, who don't have any sense at all as parents.

When I ever talk about people being uneducated, I don't mean the narrow "high school diploma, four year degree" sense of the word. That education is what it is; it is certainly not the be all and end all of learning. If someone is insular, small-minded, and obstinately ignorant - that's "uneducated" to me. It's someone who doesn't know HOW to educate themselves. Or why to bother with it.

I know a lot of amazingly intelligent self-educated people who don't have any college credits to their names. And as I said, people with doctorates that I wouldn't let babysit my kids.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 7:55 PM on Apr. 13, 2009