My son is 4 years old and has not been to sleep early since he turned two,he doesn't do naps and I'm so sleep deprived because I'm not getting my beauty sleep because he doesn't pass out until after midnight,he's not in school yet but he should be on a schedule because it's almost like this boy has a night job and he's tired the next day,should I bring this to the attention of his pediatrician?

wandaluv

Asked by wandaluv at 7:43 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Kids' Health

• it sounds more like a disciplinary problem than a medical one. wake him up early tomorrow and keep him up till it is time for him to go to bed at his bed time. then don't let him stay up and play. take all the toys from his room and leave him with just a blanket and a bed if that is what is keeping him up. then stay to your guns.
    Anonymous

• I would try, like anon said, and get him up early tomorrow, and keep him up. Keep him going. Don't let him sit down and get comfy to fall asleep. Every time he seems to want to sit down, get him up and moving. Take him outside, and get him to run around. Play hide and seek, tag, chase, etc. Put him to bed at the time you want him to go to bed. Take out any toys or anything that he plays with, so he has nothing to do but go to sleep. Keep doing it for at least a couple of weeks. If he STILL does it, then yes, I'd bring it up to his dr.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:54 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• yep, get him up early. then put him to bed at say 8pm. keep putting him to bed if he gets up. you have to get tough with him. he is use to ou letting him be up and all that.

kids this young especially need a lot of sleep. he is probably just as sleep deprived if not more than you.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:41 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• it is normal for the naps to decrease at his age , i would say it has to do with his sleep schedule that is the problem when it is bed time stick to a routine for bedtime say at 8 pm lights out nothig on in the house that is what works for my 2 ,4 yr olds if the lights are out they dont have anything to distract them and keep them awake,he may fight it or pitch a fit but stick to your guns he will be going to school soon anyways adn needs to be on a good schedule good luck =)
    freckles9399

Answer by freckles9399 at 11:07 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• try the above suggestions but also mention it at the next dr appointment. some kids who have adhd have difficulty sleeping.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 11:29 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I agree with the other moms. You are going to have to change his schedule. It will probably be harder on you at first than it will be on him. When it's his bedtime ( 8PM is reasonable for a 4 year old ) turn off the television and any music in the house - or anything that might stimulate or distract him.
    The routine I used with my kids when they were small was a bath and a story book when I put them in bed at night then it was lights out. I would take them to the library and let them choose the book we were going to read that night. To help them anticpate bedtime, they were not allowed to look at the book until they got into bed. This made it easy for me to coax them to bed at night. I would build the story up during the day. For example - I would say "I wonder what Jack is going to do in the story" They would get excited about wanting to find out. But the rule was not until bedtime.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 6:40 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Could be medical, inform your doctor.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 7:17 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Is he rocking or moving his legs a lot? Could be restless leg syndrome(RLS). Is he a hyperactive child? My son takes clonidine at night. Without it, he won't relax enough to fall asleep. He also takes an iron supplement to control his RLS. He also takes melatonin (avail OTC) to keep him asleep all night.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:40 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I agree with the discipline part, it is tough, we have difficulties some nights with our 4, 3 year old boys. The other suggestion if it is some sort of sleeping problem is to take him to a wellness chiropractor. Adjustments do incredible things!
    marikhoy

Answer by marikhoy at 8:15 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• It can't hurt to ask your doctor. But I'd go in with a plan you want to try and ask him about it, ask if there is anything else you can add or try, how long to try it, and what to try if it doesn't work.
    Here's what I'd suggest:
    Get him up every morning (even weekends) at the same time.
    Get him into sunlight within the first hour for at least 15 minutes - this helps reset his body's clock.
    Have an early afternoon rest period. In many states, this is required by law in preschools and most of the kids actually sleep. But even if he just lies there and reads a book or colors, he's getting some down time.
    Have a set bedtime routine. Dinner, bath, brush teeth, story, good night... or whatever works for you.
    Give him a bedtime pass. He can turn it in for one trip out of bed. BUT, if he still has it in the morning, he gets a sticker for a chart - enough stickers earns a small toy.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:21 PM on Apr. 14, 2009