Subway rape story?

Did anyone else hear about this?

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2009/04/03/2009-04-03_subway_rape_victim_comes_forward_after_s.html

I saw this on the news this morning--I am completely appalled that no one helped this woman who was being brutally attacked. I mean, she looked into their eyes! How could you not help someone? Obviously the rapist is a sick SOB but what about those who watched it happen?

sariejack

Asked by sariejack at 7:55 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I can't believe that! How do you just sit there and see something like that and not say stop or get off her or something!? I mean I know there are "rules" that say do not interfere or put your life at risk etc...but would you really be able to think about the rules at that point, or just go with your gut instinct that says call 911, and do what you can to help this woman? I wonder if these men are married or have daughters, or moms or sisters, I mean come on what if that was their wife, or child? Would they still have just sat there?
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 8:18 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I think they should be held accountable for their lack of interference. Something like accomplices?
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 8:07 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• It's sad but that's the society we live in, nobody wants to get involved anymore.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:19 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• While morally, I wish these men would've done something, I just don't know if I can agree they should be accountable for not doing more than what their protocol stated.

So many crazy things happen in this world and every individual has a right to protect themselves first. If they alerted the authorities, then they did the minimum, but they did do something. And who knows what they were thinking? Maybe they were afraid the guy would pull a gun or they just plain froze up in the situation. How many of us have looked the other way when something happened? (maybe not to this extreme, but anything where we should've said/done something but didn't) People look the other way in situtations dealing with friends and families...is it so hard to understand the reluctance to get involved with a stranger?

Like I said, morally its sad. But, leagally? I don't think I can support that.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 8:22 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I don't believe they should be sued. They should probably be ASHAMED, but legally ???
    I feel horrible for the victim, how scared she must have been
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:41 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• They should have called 911... What would they have wanted someone to do if that was their sister, mom, or daughter being raped. Another example of the death of morality and common sense in America...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:44 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• It a bad Seinfield episode. They should of helped this woman.
    Anonymous

• Should of at least called 911.That is sad.I would of had to do something more.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:01 PM on Apr. 13, 2009