Would u hook up with someone that u met online?

My bestfriend met this guy online and had him come to her house to meet her.She is disabled and in a wheelchair she is a wonderful person with a big heart,it freaks me out because as u know u can be told anything from someone online.She told me she knows everything about him she has been talking with him for a while.I told her u know everything he wants u to know about him.He has been there since Saturday I have checked on her all seems good but I still have my guard up for her.Do u think I am wrong for feeling this way,I think it is crazy to invite someone in your home to stay the night and sleep in your bed u really don't know.She should have told him to get a room ,he hasn't spent any money for food or anything since hes been there,I got the feeling something is funny he told her he is 44 never been married and no kids I just find the whole thing crazy.Do u think I am overreacting I just don't want anything bad to happen

mom2fivekids579

Asked by mom2fivekids579 at 8:36 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Relationships

• I met my SO online. We hit it off from the first moment we met in real life. Some guys are fine but I tell women who meet guys online to check them out first. Check the county court criminal records or whatever county he says he is from. I also advise women to go to www.dontdatehimgirl.com and www.womansaver.com and make sure no one posted a warning about him. I'd also go to www.zabasearch.com and look up his last name and state he lives in. Make sure there are no women at the same address that shows up for him. If so, check the age and make sure it's his mom and not a wife. What line of work is he in? Does he even work? She sounds very vulnerable. She is lucky to have you.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:46 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• two words- PUBLIC PLACE!!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 8:40 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I married someone I met online. Going on 3 years on the 15th.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 8:40 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• it makes sense. and its good that she has a friend that cares about her enough to worry like that! shes lucky to have you around! All you can do is exactly what you been doing... follow your gut instinct, be honest with her.... If she doesnt see anything wrong then at least she knows you are only a phone call away if something Does go wrong.
    Encourage her to be happy, but encourage her to be smart and be CAREFUL.
    trystons_mommy

Answer by trystons_mommy at 8:41 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I would probably be camped in her back yard, so no you're not overreacting. I can't believe she didn't make him get a room! I would never ever let a man come to my house when I haven't even met him in real life. Even when I dated for the first few dates I met him somewhere, he didn't pick me up. I've met women online, friends that I've made on sites like this, but only one of them was a case where she came to my house before we met "for real" and that was before I had a child to worry about.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 8:41 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I think you are concerned about your friend. I would be the same way. Have you asked her when he is leaving? Did he come for a visit or to stay permanently? It might be a good idea speaking to her after he leaves, and telling her you want her to be happy, but you are concerned for her safety. Maybe being a concerned friend who cares for her safety will make her understand how dangerous that can be.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 8:42 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I don't think it is crazy to meet people online, but I think it is INSANE to have them just come over and spend the night. That is not a date...that is not "meeting" someone...that is a house guest.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 8:52 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Me and my boyfriend met online. And anybody, whether you meet them online or at a bar or at the grocery store can lie to you. The only differnce is you know what the person looks like for sure.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 8:55 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I think a lot of normal people use the internet to meet people. However, I would NEVER invite them to my home before really getting to know them... in person.

For all she knows, he's married with 3 kids.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 8:55 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• So if he was spending money on her, you'd be more comfortable with it? I met the love of my life online and we are still together. BTW he'd never been married and no kids at 35. HE's a gem!

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 8:59 PM on Apr. 13, 2009