Is it really worth going to college after becoming a mom?

I am 27 yrs old, I have three kids , an 11 yr old girl, 6 yr old boy and a 1 yr old boy, I have always dreamed of going to college,but now I'm debating wether I should or not. My husband says I dont need it, because he provides everything we need. Being a full time mom keeps me busy, but I still hunger for more. Is college really worth going to, after you've become a mom, or do you just forget about it ?

Winter81

Asked by Winter81 at 8:43 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Money & Work

• if you want to do it why would you debate about it, and it will teach your kids that there mom cares for herself, i was never one for school so going back isnt an option for me, if you want to go then GO!!! you will always have it on your mind and you will always wish you would have
    emleejane

Answer by emleejane at 8:47 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I am 35 and i am just now starting college and i love it. if it is something you want to do then do it. God forbid this but what if something happened to your husband and he could no longer provide for the family??? You have to have something to fall back on.
    mtkelley

Answer by mtkelley at 8:48 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Oh it most definitely worth it! Especially since you have always wanted to go.
    What would happen to you and your kids if something happened to your dh?
    Not to mention that people grow so much intellectually when they go to college, no matter their age.
    I had a baby at 21 then went to college. I am much more well rounded than I was before.
    My mom started college when she was 35...she worked full time, went to school full time and was a mom of five kids. She finished in four and a half years and never had less than a 3.75 gpa.

If you want to then do it! If your dh is crabby about it make sure you tell him that god forbid something happen to him you want to be able to support your kids. He will likely see it is valuable if you pull the best for the kids card.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 8:50 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Yes, especially in this economy. If times get hard and your husband can no longer provide for your family, what are your options? Employers will hire someone with an education faster than someone that doesn't. It's never to late to go to school. My parents both went to school after 3 kids. I learned so much just from my parents going and was ahead in my classes.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 8:51 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Sounds like your husband has a complex..I'm in college and couldn't imagine not being in school. I love that I'll be able to do what I have always wanted to do with my life.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 8:53 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Stay home with the kids they grow up so fast and continue to have romantic moments with hubby to keep the love alive. You are pretty much set if dh says so. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 9:01 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Don't let your husband tell you not to. I have three kids 5, 3, and 5 months, and I know it's along time from now, but when they are all in school, i will be too. I stopped going to college becaus I got pregnant, what if me and husband got divorced one day I'd be working at McDonalds and trying to pay for everything, I don't think you should forget about it. Go for it.
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 9:04 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• "You are pretty much set if dh says so"

Chances of divorce are 1 out of every 2 marriages. Those aren't good odds. Besides that, hubby might get sick or injured or pass away. What then? Besides the financial reasons, women need to realize that the kids do grow up. What will you do when they leave the nest? Mothers can have a life of their own and fulfil their own goals and dreams. Being a mother doesn't mean your entire life revolves around kids and house work.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 9:05 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Yes it is definitely worth it, I will have my Bachelor's of Science Degree in 3 weeks and then I am going to start on my Master's! I have had my job for 6 months and I still have jobs calling me because they have seen my resume and education online!

lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 9:19 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• You should definitely do it! Why not!!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 9:28 PM on Apr. 13, 2009