Racist or necessary?

For those that have or have husbands (family or friends) that have security clearances that require 7rys (more or less) for their jobs of information about relationship/friendships/living arrangements/any contact with foreign nationals, do you think it's racist or necessary?

legalmommy101

Asked by legalmommy101 at 8:47 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• "it's a pain in the ass to remember some of the info, "

OMG yes.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 9:36 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• They do it as a necessity. They need to know who they could have been around and what could have been talked about and where. They need to know about foreign affairs for our safety and the safety of the other person as well. It has nothing to do with race. The question are professional and are usual based on things they may know or seeing if they have information we could use.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 8:50 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• What's racist about it? There are some other countries that do not particularly like the USA. It's not outrageous for a job requiring security clearance to want to know about any possible dealings with our enemies. Think about it not only for national security but for your own as well. If I had contacts in the past that may harm my family or my country depending on where I worked, I'd want to know about it! My husband has worked for the government for several years now and I've not had any problem with anything he's had to do or disclose so far.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 8:52 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Necessary.
    Anonymous

• I think it's necessary. Our world is changing.
    Anonymous

• necessary.. they need to make sure you aren't partying it up with Bin laden and his buddies...hubby is military and when he goes for higher security clearances they go wayyyyy back into his past and look into EVERYTHING. it's a pain in the ass to remember some of the info, but much needed. I don't even see how it could be remotely called racism
    TippyD

Answer by TippyD at 9:10 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• necessary not every thing is about racism
    Anonymous

• Necessary. Not all foreign nationals are of a different race, so why would that be racist? Americans come in many different races, and so do foreign nationals.....
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:51 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I don't see what's "racist" about it, but like the others said it's a pain in the ayis to remember some info.
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 9:59 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Gee, I would certainly hope the person with my hubby's job was well checked out! I think it is an absolute necessity for some positions.

Why on earth would it be racist? I think people need to learn the definition of the word. It seems the word is used inappropriately a lot these days.

You know, they also check out teachers and child care providers. The children's teachers at our church also get an FBI check. This isn't racist, it is a matter of security.

For those that might think it an invasion of their privacy to be checked out, then they should look for a different job.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:06 PM on Apr. 13, 2009