Anyone tried or use a reward system???

I was thinking more of the chart and sticker system. Has it worked for you and your LO? We are in the early stages of using a potty and her big girl bed. What do ya'll think??

My DD is also almost17 months old.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:01 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• that's a cool way to go we did m&m's 1 for peepee and 2 for poop, it worked great for us.
    WhatevaItTakes

Answer by WhatevaItTakes at 9:07 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• It works if your consistent and let the child be apart of it. Let her pick her stickers out and make it so she understands what it is. At her age is has to be really kid friendly, brightly colored. Make up a potty dance for her and song. Let her pick out big girl panties for when she does use the potty for a few days. It can be as fun as you want to make it. Just make sure the chart is kid friendly and easy for her to understand with pictures and things. As for her bed, give her a comfort item or whatever when you lay her down like you did in the crib and don't change the routine. She will get used to it and if you want to give her a stick every morning for sleeping in her bed the night before go for it, but I wouldn't give her a treat for to long for it.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 9:20 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• It's a good thing, just keep the rewards small and simple. I thought stickers would work well for my daughter at 19 months because she liked stickers, but she just didn't get the sticker chart idea at that point (once she realized the stickers were going on the wall and not her hand, she didn't see the point). We ended up doing one m & m every time she successfully used the potty. Once she would go any time we put her on, we changed it to one m & m every time she told US she needed to go. Then we tapered them off altogether. Every now and then, many, many months later, she'll still ask for a candy after going potty, but when we say she doesn't need one, she doesn't really care. We brought them back for a few days when she had a little regression, too...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:43 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• We use it all the time. But we didn't start until my son started potty training at 20 months or so.
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 10:17 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• It didn't really work for mine but she is STUBBORN. No matter what I used, she didn't care - stickers, pennies, cake... nothing.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:16 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• My husband and I use chuck E wokrs for us..
    https://www.chuckecheese.com/promotions/rewards-calendars.php

They have Tooth Fairy Award , NEW Getting Dressed , NEW Reading Rewards, NEW Active Kid, Homework, Helper, Potty Training Sleep All Night, Magical Manners, Doctor/Dentist Good Patient Award, Stop Thumb Sucking, Clean Your Room, Teeth Brushing

You can also use it for good grades also (just take in the report card and show them.
    DiscoveryToys09

Answer by DiscoveryToys09 at 11:23 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• My kids are a little older and sticker charts worked wonders for us. That and Extra Bubblegum =) I can get them to do just about anything for half a stick of gum.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 11:36 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• We do high fives and pounds. High fives for little things and pounds for big things. We didnt want to spoil him with candy and stuff and he really seems to like it. He gets really excited when we ask him for a high five or a pound.
    MamaKelly46

Answer by MamaKelly46 at 4:34 AM on Apr. 14, 2009