Nature or Nurture?

I have always believed that the way you raise a child will mold their behavior, attitudes, temperament, etc.

Then I had my second child...lol. They are just so different and I know they are raised essentially the same way.

It got me thinking about my own upbringing and how different my brothers and sisters and I are for being raised in the same house...sooooo What are your thoughts?

kabbot01

Asked by kabbot01 at 9:08 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think both take affect. everyone is different including children. nature plays a role and so does nurture.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:11 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• The newest research says both. They have stopped asking if it's nature or nurture and now they are asking the ridiculous question of how much each plays a role.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 9:14 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• well let me say from the way my brother and i were both raised i am so surprised we are "normal". my brother was into drugs. i never touched it. his wife "straightened him out". i have always been headstrong. i dont like to do what people expect but have never gone out of my way to do things just because nobody wants me to. hhmmm. very interesting. lol. I go with Nature.

I have seen you around on here for a while, your comments and such. i have to say i like the way you think ; )
    BubbysMom208

Answer by BubbysMom208 at 9:19 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I really believe that it is a combination, in my psych or child ed. classes when this came up I would always use my son as an example. He has been with my DH since he was 11 months old and DH and DS bio are so different that to see my son do something we were always like oh that's Matt (bio) or that's Jeff (adopted/step). Now that he has had no contact with bio for over 2 years and he still has his temper I know that is nature but he controls it pretty well which is learned.

I think that nature predisposes children to certain temperaments and how their temperament is dealt with (nurture) plays into the development of their personality.

goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 9:51 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• How a child turns out is a mixture of nature and nurture.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:07 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• well me adn my brothers and sisters are all diffrent and we were all raised by the same people the exact same way ,so i have to say it has to do with nature and nurture equaly .
    freckles9399

Answer by freckles9399 at 10:55 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Both mold and shape us.
    What we are born with is a pattern, potential to be one thing or another. What happens to us shapes how that pattern develops.

And remember, you were NOT raised in the exact same household as your siblings. Your older brothers and sisters had fewer (or even no) siblings competeing for attention and toys. Your younger siblings had even more competition than you did in their early years. Your parents gained experience with each child, each challenge, each injury, each triumph. I know part of me wonders what things I would do differently with a second child.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:32 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• both but the funny thing is is that the first child probably falls along the same lines as most first children do. He is probably outgoing, gets good grades and such where the second is probably more quite. There is a bunch of studies. I would say that most is nurture but that there is still some nature to it. Even temperments have been proven to be hereditary
    HunnysFarAway

Answer by HunnysFarAway at 7:33 AM on Apr. 14, 2009