Getting a F's....This may be a really silly question & maybe I am over reacting, but I need some opinions...

My SD(8yr) has come home in the past month or so with 3 F's. I know that isn't a lot, but her Daddy and I feel that there need to be consequences. She is smart. She should be able to do better. The F she brought home today was over her old spelling words. I thought that it might be a good time to start reviewing old spelling words with her daily. She should be able to spell them since she has already taken tests on them. I told her BM that I would probably do this and she doesn't like the idea. She feels that she already has enough homework. She does have quite a bit of homework. It takes us between 30 minutes and an hour to finish it normally (I do all the homework with her). I told her that I would never take more than an hour. So, say homework took 45 minutes, then we wouldnt review any longer than 15 minutes.

What do you think? Shouldn't we do whatever we can to help her improve in areas that she struggles?

aly38914290

Asked by aly38914290 at 9:19 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Yes you should. It's important to instill good grades in her now. I agree with you. Good luck
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 9:23 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Yes, you should help her... but punishment may not be the answer. This may be more of a warning sign than anything..... Example.... my son started doing bad in the 10th grade in math... he always blamed the teacher (he had bad teachers- so he said) I got tired of hearing it..... When he was a Senior I found out that he got lost in Math in the 9th grade.... he never told anyone and spent two wasted years taking the brunt because I knew he was smart and SHOULD be able to do better....... Educate yourself first about why or what is causing this, save punishment for when and if it is really needed. Keep a close eye, and a closer curiosity, children between 5-8 do not just STOP doing their work.... something is causing this.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 9:23 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• she does the work, but she isn't doing it well. i know she has in the past had issues with rushing through things. so i think that could be part of it. or i wonder if she is maybe not listening during class. but i just dont understand how her own mother doesn't want to do whatever needs to be done to help her succeed.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:30 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I am a firm believer that no child WANTS to get bad grades. So, something is up. Talk to the program specialist at the school immediately and tell her/him everything. Sometimes the school will try to disregard the issue. Stay on top of it. There is no reason an 8 year old should get F's. Tell your prediatrion. As long as the child hears everything in a POSITIVE way you can help. Do it now. Middle school is not the time to find out there is a learning problem, ADD, depression.... believe me. There are so many test they can run to figure it out. Good luck, I know what it is like to worry about this.
    outnumbered4

Answer by outnumbered4 at 10:08 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• that's tough! I definitely have no good answer about the BM part, all parents are different and it never ceases to amaze me what areas some of those differences may show up in; but, one suggestion is to look for patterns in the words she misses for spelling. Maybe she just needs to review some spelling patterns.

The teacher might have some suggestions too - how is your SD's reading or memory for general stuff. Around 8 can be when significant differences can occur for kids in school with their memory strategies or processing speeds compared to their peers. One thing I would try with my daughter is jumbled letters and the how many words can you make from these letters.....

Also, what does you SD think about the F's - it's too bad that anyone that young would get F's at all, but maybe she has an idea of why she's struggling (hard to remember, doesn't think she needs to know them anymore, distracted by others, etc
    ldtchr

Answer by ldtchr at 10:13 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Yes! but I wouldn't go through "old" spelling words though, go through the new ones. Study with her and help her, make it fun. It doesn't have to take a long time to study words. Let her finish what she can on her own and then help her with the rest. Then take say 15 minutes to review her words but make it fun and not a choir so she likes doing it. We have done this with our children and they have responded well to it.
    surferwifeof3

Answer by surferwifeof3 at 11:50 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• any F is enough to need some extra work. 3 F's is laziness. i like the 1 hr idea. she needs to focus or it will get out of hand and she will really start hating school
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 12:08 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I wonder if she is not just rushing through the work to make sure she is getting the answers down before the teacher goes on. Sometimes teachers rush through things to make sure they get it done in a day and do not go back through it. I would study with her through the week making sure she knows the answers. If she does and still gets an F talk to the teacher about it. Hopefully you all can work together and get this solved!!!! Good luck!
    Tayandstevenmom

Answer by Tayandstevenmom at 7:36 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• sometimes a very intelligent child will get bad grades because they get so bored in class that they begin to daydream and then they miss something. I used to do this all the time. I understood the first time the teacher explained it so when she went through it several times I would start to daydream and fog out then she would give the assignment or a new bit of info and I would miss it. talk to her and see what is up I do think reviewing is a good idea and certainly the 1 hour rule is good.. I don't know when you do schoolwork but I also suggest letting her play for an hour or so after she gets home to give her a break before starting homework.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 10:24 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• F's weren't accepted in my family at all. The only way that a kid can really get an "F" these days is if he or she just isn't doing the work - I know from personal experience. If this is a new thing, you might find out if something is bothering him - some change may have occurred causing stress. Sometimes this explains a change in school habits. Beyond that, I would have some consequence for F's - If I received an F, I was grounded from something I enjoyed until that grade came up. Usually a video game or my bike.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 11:40 AM on Apr. 14, 2009