Getting a F's....This may be a really silly question & maybe I am over reacting, but I need some opinions...

My SD (8yr) has come home in the past month or so with 3 F's. I know that isn't a lot, but her Daddy and I feel that there need to be consequences. She is smart. She should be able to do better. The F she brought home today was over her old spelling words. I thought that it might be a good time to start reviewing old spelling words with her daily. She should be able to spell them since she has already taken tests on them. I told her BM that I would probably do this and she doesn't like the idea. She feels that she already has enough homework. She does have quite a bit of homework. It takes us between 30 minutes and an hour to finish it normally (I do all the homework with her). I told her that I would never take more than an hour. So, say homework took 45 minutes, then we wouldnt review any longer than 15 minutes.

What do you think? Shouldn't we do whatever we can to help her improve in areas that she struggles?

aly38914290

Asked by aly38914290 at 9:20 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• Thanks again all :-)
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 5:17 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Yes a little extra work wouldn't hurt it'll help her bring up her grades. As a parent you have to do more work with the child b/c the teachers don't seem to care anymore and the child suffers.
    Anonymous

• You are not overreacting. Are you kidding me 3 F's! I'd be pretty pissed at my child and his teacher for this. For one, your child may need extra help at school with the subjects she's having trouble with. For two, your childs teacher should have informed you some way that she is getting 3 f's. Maybe so that you could help your child raise that grade somehow. And three, find out what is distracting her from learning. Maybe she is having other issues going on.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 9:27 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• the Fs are on class work and one test. they aren't on her report card. her last report card she had an A in math and a B in language arts (which includes spelling and reading). I do all the homework with her and keep a close eye on everything she brings home. in general she does well, but obviously there are other times she doesnt.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:33 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Try to use everyday situations such as trips to the store or a walk to the park, as 'lessons'. You might see things in everyday life that are on her spelling lists. Point them out to her and ask her to spell it. Try and make a game of it and it will not seem like work. Good luck!
    saltycoqui

Answer by saltycoqui at 9:38 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• we used to review spelling words in the car or while doing something else so that it wasn't added to homework time but still got the review in .
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 9:44 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• If they are on homework then I wouldn't worry too much, everyone has bad days. Seeing she is getting A's and B's on her report card, I would think she is doing fine. You can review words in the car, but you don't need to be adding extra homework. 45 min- 1 hour seems to be a lot for a 3rd grader. She doesn't need to be punished because she did poorly on a few assignments, give her a break, she is a kid. She doesn't need to be perfect, it causes more stress on her. If it was 3 F's on her report card, then I would agree that punishment is needed. IT IS NOT THE TEACHERS FAULT, obviously she isn't worried either or she would have talked to her parents.

Another thing, do you and your husband have custody? Why are you deciding what needs to be done with your SD? Her BM needs to be in on the decision too.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:05 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• My daughter brough home 3 F's in a month before as well, there were consequences. She had got several before then too. She is VERY smart but she gets lazy and she rushes to get her tests done at school. I grounded her and she has gotten maybe 2 F's since then total.

She turns in her papers late all the time, work she does at school. Her teacher still counts what grade she gets and my daughter doesn't see a big deal turning her work in on time. She needs to get a zero once and she will knock it off. She is only 8 as well.

Anonymous

• When my son was 8, even now, I make him write his spelling works 5 times each ever night for me, regardlless what the teacher gives him. Also if you go to spellcity.com you can add there weekly words and it makes games for them to play online using those words so we do that to. and every thursday night hubby and i test him until he gets them all right. weeks we are super busy and dont review the words with him daily he does not do well.
    Vanessannd

Answer by Vanessannd at 11:44 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• You are not overreacting. Don't think that. Trust your gut. F's mean failing and failing is NOT ok.
    Try www.spellingcity.com for her spelling words and www.mathfactcafe.com for her math work.
    For my son, 7 years old and in 1st grade, when he brings home an F that means no TV and no playing. You do your homework, eat dinner, get a bath and get to bed. Stand your ground.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 9:07 AM on Apr. 14, 2009