Custody Battle

I have a 9 year old daughter who I have had sole custody of her whole life. Six weeks ago I mentioned to her "every other weekend" father, I was thinking of moving. He immediately ran to a lawyer and they put an interim order through where custody is split 50/50 until court (next week). I am going insane, sure he might be the fun dad who does extra curricular activities, but what our daughter doesn't know is he was in prison the first 3 years of her life for selling marijuana, he's beat up 4 out of his last 5 girlfriends, he has pages upon pages of legal convictions. His live-in girlfriend just got busted with marijuana in her car (2 weeks ago....good timing moron). How in the world would a judge sign this interim order w/o any details of our situation?
My daughter is well cared for, she has her own room, has extra curricular activities, she's well loved, she has a little sister (diff dad) here with me. This sucks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:21 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Relationships

• It's an emergency thing... all courts have that. If you look at your paper work, it clearly defines things about moves and how to go about it etc and every state is different, maybe even counties too, I don't know but whoever gets to the lawyer first gets the best odds on temporary custody.
    I'd talk to my lawyer and get those records brought in to court if possible, and if the woman is living with him, I'd see what I could do with that too since your child will be there.
    Here in TX we have a child arbitrator (not sure I spelt that right) but they listen to what the child says and take it in to consideration even at that age).
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 9:31 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• The system doesnt care anymore they took mine away for about a week because of a lie that my ex and his wife told. I was 7 months preg at the time and almost lost my son because of it but on the bright side my lawyer and judge seen right through them and gave me full custody. Just pray that things will be in your favor and you get you a good lawyer and tell him everything. Dig up all the dirt you can because remember this is your child and you have to fight for her. In my state if the mom or dad has a live in SO the child doesnt get to stay over night with them GOOD LUCK!!
    heavenlypeace

Answer by heavenlypeace at 9:33 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• remain calm. Present all of that to the judge and let him/her make the appropriate decision

Answer by admckenzie at 9:41 PM on Apr. 13, 2009