Did the feminist movement

ruin the traditional family unit?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:28 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I believe that it played a very significant role in doing so. There were a couple of other contributing factors, too, that happened about the same time. What women did not realize was that they already had the most important job in all the world and that they already had more power than they knew what to do with. They simply allowed themselves to be deceived into thinking that they were missing out on something that was better. I was raising my family during the height of all the propaganda and I well remember the soul searching that I did trying to decide if I had been cheated. I was cheated of nothing, and if I could do it all again, I'd stay at home and raise my family. I will never be famous nor rich, but I have been and continue to be blessed beyond all measure.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:39 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• The way you put it "the traditional family unit" according to the 50's, yes.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 9:31 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Since the 'family unit' has always evolved over the ages and varied from culture to culture, time to time, country to country, I suppose you would have to define 'traditional family unit' first. And in case you didn't know...'Leave It To Beaver' was a television show...it wasn't real.
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 9:44 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• "Leave to beaver" was a show that depicted the current values, beliefs and social norms of the time period in which it was originally written not when it hit tv. So in a way...it was very real.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 9:56 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Nanny B., for some women remaining single or childless, or working outside the home, IS better.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 10:01 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• It was NOT real, pp...it was a fictitious account of how people wanted things to look...just like tv is today. Notice a few things about the Beaver show...no black people, no integration, no poor people, no domestic violence, no teen pregnancy, nothing bad ever happened...so, are you saying that these bad things NEVER happened during that time? Because that would be a stupid thing to think. Also, black people DID very much exist at that time...but they weren't on the show. Why? Where were they? LITB was fake...just like tv today.
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 10:03 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I think it contributed to it. But on the other hand, if men would have been treating woman with respect and love as they should have been, things would have been drasticly different. But I do think that the feminist movement contributed to it.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 10:12 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• i would say yes there is so many more things to consider as well if you decided you didnt want to get married and have a child i see nothing wrong with that especially if all your life you saw domestic violence as the "only" way of life im glad that women do not have to stay in marriges because of that.and they now have options that were back then out of the norm .What the man said went .
    Anonymous

• Ruin? No. The "ideal" family was no more real then than it is now. Women being empowered to choose their own path in life is in no way detrimental to the family unit.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 10:40 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• yay for nannyB's answer! some women take this feminist movement crap wayyyyyyy too far. yes thinking for ourselves, making our own decisions, being able to vote, all that stuff is great and i would have it no other way but some are just out to prove a point and take it too far. the LITB issue, mizkaye back in the 50's yes there may have been a few teen pregnancies but not like there was today thats why the person above you said it was the ideal life in the 50s not EVERY SINGLE PERSONS LIFE IN THE 50's. yes there were black people but it was not from their perspective.
    USMC_Elisa

Answer by USMC_Elisa at 10:54 PM on Apr. 13, 2009