• In the Spotlight:

Different Teachings and beliefs within Christendom

If it's OK to follow whatever teachings sound good as long as you Believe why did Paul in his first letter to Timothy, name Hymenaeus’ as an associated with another apostate, Alexander. The apostle states that he had handed Hymenaeus and Alexander “over to Satan,” evidently referring to Paul’s expelling or disfellowshipping them from the congregation.—1Ti 1:18-20; 2Ti 2:16, 17.
Why didn't he just say "Well if you like that teaching it's OK cuz it's all leading to Christ" ?

What are your thought?

lisarose45

Asked by lisarose45 at 9:39 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• It's not okay to follow whatever teachings sound good. They do not all represent true worship. Time & again, Jesus rebuked the Pharisees for their teaching, even though they had knowledge of the truth. What they did with that knowledge was twist it until it held only a shadow of the truth. Having only a portion of truth is not enough, because, by default, the rest of what you have is false. Hope that makes sense.
    PetKat37

Answer by PetKat37 at 12:17 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• The only thing I can think of is satan is part of the world and he don't worship the true GOD, you can worship any GOD but all ain't true. I kmow you know what i'm talking about.
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 10:16 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I'm not entirely sure what you're referring to here...maybe I'm just slow tonight, lol??

There are different teachings within our faith...that's where religion usually has it's place. The Bible holds many secrets and I really think you need to take a good look at the scripture from many points of view to really "get" what's being said. I go by what my Bible tells me...but parts of it has different meaning to me than it would to you.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:21 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I'm sorry... What I'm asking I guess is if having many different and at times opposite teachings how does one know that what they are following would have been approved by the First Century Christian Apostles?

Does that make more sense?

lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 10:26 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• He did that because they were false teachers .. leading people away from the Gospel of Grace. They were not pointing people to Christ but in a different direction. He had to let them go.

The best way to know is by the Holy Spirit and by doing the research in the Word of God yourself. Never rely on man but on God Himself to speak to your own heart! That doesn't mean listening to preachers is wrong but it does mean go look up what they speak of, back it up ! :-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:41 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• by doing it there way, changing nothing
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 7:19 AM on Apr. 14, 2009