How do you deal with favoritism?

My MIL clearly favors one child over another. Do you experience this and how do you handle it?

RoseSiO2

Asked by RoseSiO2 at 9:40 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• I experience it with my mom. We are close so I come right out and tell her I don't like it, and when she tries to take my dd and not my ds I tell her sorry..they come as a package :)...but I can talk to her like that, my MIL...I don't know if I could be so blunt. Good Luck
    nikkileerue

Answer by nikkileerue at 9:50 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• we have had lots of favoritism in my family ...to keep my kids from being hurt i just try to keep them away from it as much as possible to spare my kids feelings .i have adressed it before and it was denied but i know better and so does my husband so we tried to deal with it that way and it didnt work out well leaving us feeling as if we were the bad guys when our kids started to notice it was when we made changes
    freckles9399

Answer by freckles9399 at 10:47 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• My Mil likes my nephews better than my son. I grew up in a family too though that me and my siblings we'rent the fave grandkids and we got over it. Its not a big deal. As long as you know mommy and daddy love you. Thats all that matters.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 12:08 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• i have one girl, and my sister has a gir and a boy..in everyones perspective my sister majorly favors the boy over the girl..however we would never tell her this..soooo to make up for it, we tend to favor the girl over the boy...not favor as in like buying more stuff for the girl or anything like that, its more or less in a way that we let the girl know how proud we are of all her accomplishments and everything, because she is like the smartest kid i have ever met..shes an AMAZING swimmer, shes so frickin beautiful..and the look in her eyes sometimes is just so sad, because , well, shes 8..she can see whats going on..and when ya get talkin to her, its just sad..now im not trying to diss my sister o anything cuz she is an awesome mom..but..i dunno..my niece just try SOOOOO hard to impress her mom, and my sis is proud of her for everything and knows how smart, and atheltic she is..but..its all about the boy..and its sad!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 4:00 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I liked the "package' answer. I would not allow my parents to favor one child over the others. They just wouldn't see my kids at all! I have a SIL who lets her parents take her daughter everywhere, while the son sits at home. I would never allow that. Can you imagine how the son must feel every time the grandparents pick up his sister? Oh no way!
    4kidsandadog

Answer by 4kidsandadog at 9:11 AM on Apr. 14, 2009