has anyone??

Has anyone ever raised their little one vegetarian?? If so , how did you give them their protein?? Just curious.

calliesmommie

Asked by calliesmommie at 9:44 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Anon948: Until you learn a bit more about nutrition, maybe you should refrain from telling others about what is healthy and what is not in all caps.

Beans and nuts are a good source of protein, and if you are not vegan eggs and dairy products are as well. Quinoa and spinach also contain good amounts of protein. With a well planned, varied diet, vegetarianism is healthy for the whole family.

The only nutrient that can't be gotten from plants is B12, which can be easily gotten from less than one egg a day if you are not vegan - or from fortified vegan foods, like soy, if you are.

Here is a great link that will answer all your questions about protein, as well as many other things to consider and be aware of with a meat-free diet. The site is for vegans but is useful for any vegetarian.

Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 10:12 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• No. I wonder how that works also I am curious. I think though that if you are a veggie person you should still let your child make their own choice when they are old enough if they want to take that route or be a meat and veggie eater. Just my opinion though. You have your rights to choose as a mommy and good luck!!
    Peekalou

Answer by Peekalou at 9:46 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• YOU HAVE TO EJECT THE PROTEIN FROM A PEICE OF MEAT WITH A BONE LIKE A STEAK, AND THEN DIRECTLY DEPOSIT IT INTO THERE BONE MARROW TO GIVE THEM PROTEIN AND THEN YOU CAN KEEP THEM TO BECOME A VEGITARIAN, BUT ITS NOT A HEALTHY IDEA IN M Y OPINION.
    Anonymous

• You can make complete proteins by combining beans/legumes and whole grains starting at 9 months. You need to get the proportions right, though, so you need to read up on it and talk to your doctor if you decide to do it. Dairy and eggs, if you're offering those, also give complete protein. It can be healthy but it takes work. I'm not a vegetarian and didn't raise my daughters that way, but it's your choice and can be just as healthy as long as you put the work into it.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:59 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• First of all...ANON6:38 you sound retarded...second, I am a vege and i have looked into it and have planned on lentils, quinoa, rice/beans eggs, dairy (we're not vegan). thanks so much everyone for your input (NOT Anon) and I will definitely do some more research:)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:17 PM on Apr. 13, 2009