Anybody know how to have patience with their kids with their homework?j

I know I am not the only one but what do you do to ease this impatieness feeling???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:07 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I let my daughter do as much as possible without any help and then go back and help with the qustions she can't do on her own. That minimizes the amount of work we have to do together. Also, her math was way beyond my capabilities in helping her so we hired a tutor for her math homework. She goes twice a week. She loves her tutor and is getting the help she needs while getting the work done. Everyone is happy and her grades are up :)
    surferwifeof3

Answer by surferwifeof3 at 11:47 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I try to hand off to the husband...he is much better then me. Sometimes I have to just take a minute or try a different approach when I notice I am not getting anywhere getting upset. My boys do not do well if I get upset then they get upset then we are all crying or mad.
    craftyGAgal

Answer by craftyGAgal at 12:50 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I hate the homework battles too. My MIL(believe it or not) came up with a great idea. She told me I should have my uncooperative child go outside while his brother does his work then, after his brother is done, he may come in and do his work. If he gives me attitude he gets one warning and then it's back to the yard where he sits until DH gets home. He doesn't like sitting in the yard by himself or doing homework with DH.
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 1:42 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• My older son is 7 and autistic (high functioning). EVERYDAY we do homework...even for 5 minutes on the weekends and vacations, when he doesn't have any "official" assignments. (I buy age/grade workbooks, and have him select a page or two to do.)

On school days, he usually gets home about 4PM. I let him run around, have a snack and do whatever he wants until 5PM. Then we do homework together in a dedicated area without distractions. I bought him a desk for his room, a special desk lamp, lots of different regular, personalized and colored pencils, markers, and fun office supplies that he picked out. I bought a large bulletin board for over his desk, where I post his vocabulary words, and good grades/tests, etc. I basically made doing homework interesting, fun, and motivating to do his homework on HIS terms! I use a sticker star reward system, and he gets a special prize when he earns a certain number of gold stars.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:48 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• my son only does not fight on the homework issue if we do it in the morning. hes fresher, and its his first work of the day.
    stefirose22

Answer by stefirose22 at 7:39 AM on Apr. 21, 2009