Did you have a birth plan and did they really follow it. Was it successful????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:25 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Birth plan??? LOL
    nikkileerue

Answer by nikkileerue at 10:26 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• LOL. it's nice to have one 'cause then you think you're prepared but stuff happens and you don't really get to follow it. your birth plan is more like a wish list.
    Anonymous

• i say screw the birth plan...the only plan i have is to have my baby come out as safe as possible <3

Thats all that matters to me..i made a birth plan...but then when i really thought about it, i was like "nahhh as long as she's healthy and safe thats all that matters"
    MissKellee

Answer by MissKellee at 10:28 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I did have a birth plan- no pink, lots of medication, and I wanted a sheet placed over myself so everybody couldnt watch the baby coming out.
    Ha!!!
    The epi ended up not working after a while, and I was screaming in pain. The baby's heartrate started dropping, so I ended up in an OR with tons of doctors around me watching, and I was up on my hands and knees with my stuff all up in the air for everybody to see. The only thing that did end up working out was the no pink thing. The hat was blue and pink striped, but that was okay.
    I did feel a lot better having a plan though. It helped me feel more in control of an out of control situation. Looking back though, my plan probably looked stupid to my dr, and kind of seemed like a waste of time.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 10:29 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Only in the US is a birth plan needed, it's like asking for permission to be allowed to birth the way you want to. It's kind of sad really. Doctors work for you, it's your body. You can write one up, but half the time they wont read or follow it, and will try and do things you don't want anyways.

I had one. I still wound up having my water broken without giving consent, a contraction monitor inserted, the cord cut immediately (DH was suppose to do it and didn't get to) etc.

Doctors and nurses do what they want, when they want. Which is why I am birthing at home with this one.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:32 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I had made a birth plan that my doctor looked over briefly and said it was "fine". In the hospital they did nothing at all the way I had asked. I wasn't high risk, there were no outstanding situations- they honestly just didn't care. There was no emergent need for any of their medical crap, but they still pushed it on me, even when I asked them to not do things (which is part of my patients' rights). I'm with celticreverie on this one. Next kiddo is being born at home. Give me a medical emergency and I'll go to the hospital, otherwise I see no reason to be there.
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 10:37 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• birth plan...lol its great 2 have 1, but when the time comes, u dnt really go w/ the plan.
    iheartkewi

Answer by iheartkewi at 10:44 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I had somewhat made a birthplan with my daughter and it was okay. I stayed home breathing through the contractions because it sucks being stuck in a hospital bed and didn't go to the hospital until i couldn't take it anymore. When i got to the hospital all the labor and delivery rooms were full or being turned so i had to walk for over an hour before i got into a bed. Then the nurse who didn't know what she was doing blew 3 of my veins trying to start an IV. The epidural didn't work the first time but did the second time only to wear off once i started pushing ugh. It wasn't picture perfect but i was only in the hospital 4 hrs before i had my daughter and she was perfectly healthy, that's all i could really ask for.
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 12:33 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I had one and my midwife honored it completely. It really depends on whether the doc/midwife agree with what you have written there. My midwife has no issue with birthing the way mom feels she needs to and only intervenes when necassary. I had both my kids with no pain meds, labored at home as long as possible, in the shower at the hospital, delivered while squatting, no circ for my boy, no artificial nipples for either, cord stop pulsing before DH cut and a whole host of other things.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:30 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I have a birth plan and my midwife is completely okay with it.. Delayed cord cutting, no inducing, water birth, no medication, etc.... :) I can't wait!!!!
    angelmama081007

Answer by angelmama081007 at 6:22 PM on Apr. 14, 2009