Should I turn him around?

My son is going to be a year old in just a few weeks and I am debating whether or not to turn his car seat around. On one hand rear facing is a lot safer and on the other hand it is not his car seat we are trusting in. What would you do?

jamesmommy12

Asked by jamesmommy12 at 10:42 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Do not turn your baby around!! 1 year and 20 lbs is the bare minimum. Like you said, rearfacing is safer. Kids who are turned around are way more likely to DIE from INTERNAL DECAPITATION! It's horrible and preventable. Please check out this site for some info:

http://www.kyledavidmiller.org/pages/4209/Car_Seat_Safety:_Rear-facing_is_safest.htm
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 11:17 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• See, I have a problem with this too. My daughter isn't anywhere near being ready to be put in the front facing seat, but it's the weight requirement. My DH was only 107 his freshman year of high school. LOL! I mean, seriously? He's supposed to be in a booster seat until he's 100lbs? LOL, that would be like 7th or 8th grade for him!!! Now, our DD is in the 90% for her height and only the 50% for weight. If she's gonna be like her daddy, (I don't know where the height came from, 'cause he's only 5' 8") I'm not gonna have her in a seat until she's THAT old. You know? I mean, until she's 5 or 6, sure! But, I mean, seriously?
    Lillysmomma1024

Answer by Lillysmomma1024 at 10:48 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Lol. That would be so embarrassing to be almost in high school and still in a booster seat.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 10:56 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Newest data says NOT to turn. The longer he stays rear-facing the better off he is.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:03 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• it all depends on if he weighs over 22 lbs and if he is getting too tall for the rear facing seat. if it seems like he still fits and hes under the weight requirement, keep it rear facing for a little while longer
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 11:40 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Thanks everyone. I have decided not to turn him around. I just need to talk to my husband about it.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 11:50 PM on Apr. 13, 2009