Baby and Ferret!

Should I be worried about my ferret and my baby? My husband and me got the ferret before I became pregnant. Now I only have about 2 months till me due date. Should I be worried about the ferret being around the baby? Our ferret has never tried to bite anyone, and my baby sister who is only one, has petted him and even pulled on him (we took him away from her when she did that) but he has never tried to bite her, only licked. Should I be worried? *I have posted this in the 0-12 mo babies, and just seen the pets opps)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:44 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Pets

• Keeping them separated should do fine. Just make sure the ferret can't reach the baby when it's out for playtime. In reality there is no reason for the ferret to be close to the baby or be able to get to the baby, so you should not have a problem. I'd watch out for it stealing baby items tho, our stole passies and bottles constantly.

RenaeMom3277

Answer by RenaeMom3277 at 10:57 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I wouldn't trust it, I would keep them apart for along time, Only good thing about a ferret when their about to attack they do a weird little dance, bouncing around, Their not domesticated like dogs or cats,their still a little wild, i know this because i had two of them years ago

LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 10:05 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I worried too just cuz I have always thought they're a little dirty.
    but now I give the one I got my husband for Valentines day regular baths and he's calmed down A LOT as he's grown. He's really become an adorable loveable guy and has Also never bitten anyone but the dog- who deserved it very much :)

I will prob. wont let him just run around my baby on his own for awhile, but I see no problem in holding him near her and letting them get "accuaitnted" that way... When she starts crawling then maybe I'll him join her on his own :)
    I am forseeing many cute videos and stories in thier future :)
    MssBlckEyeliner

Answer by MssBlckEyeliner at 11:05 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• i have 4 ferrets and my kids are 3 yrs and 5 yrs they do perfectly fine with each other. I would suggest keeping the ferret away maybe at first. they are not wild there are no wild ferrets except the black footed ferret and those arent even related. if u handle your ferret alot they should not bite and they should be used to human contact. i think a cat or dog would be quicker to attack a baby than a ferret. plus once the baby gets older like my kids they have a great time together.
    kd2kds

Answer by kd2kds at 1:51 PM on Apr. 19, 2009