How do you make time to read with your kids?

I mean I plan it out and with practice baseball and ballet I'm all pooped out.
I feel guilty :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:44 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Don't feel guilty. At night when you put them to bed you can read to them then. If you have a full schedule that involves your kids during the day and you are being a good mother than not reading to them all the time isn't bad at all. At least you are concerned...some moms sit their lazy asses home all day with nothing to do and still want read to the children. And wonder why when they get to school...{let me shut up}
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 10:46 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• my daughter is still 3, and i'm a SAHM so its a little easier, we read at nap time if she takes a nap, if she doesn't we have quiet time i will read one or two books to her than read a chapter or two from one of my books while she "reads" her book. then she picks out 3 books each night and whoever tucks her in reads those to her. i'm a big reader and she is too so it makes things a little easier
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:58 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I try to read to my little girl before bedtime. Her father and I take turns depending on who is less tired. I completely understand being too tired from all the activities in any given day. Don"t feel guilty. Just do your best and don't beat yourself up about it. :)
    papercutout

Answer by papercutout at 11:19 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I just read with my kids. Not reading to them would be telling them it is not important. If I was so overscheduled there was no time to read for 20 mintues in a day I would cut some activities.
    Anonymous

• I set aside 1/2 hour each night to read in bed with them. It is very important for their learning skills and bonding time with Mom or Dad. It's our relax time and they really look forward to it.
    surferwifeof3

Answer by surferwifeof3 at 11:44 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• My children have lessons, but we always make time before bed, after dinner and I sit down and read at least a chapter before sending children off to bed.  They have their own books they read a couple chapters from every day, but at night is our together time and the book I read from is different than the ones they're reading.  We don't watch television much so reading is something the children, husband and I enjoy immensely.

Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 1:36 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Like one of the other posters said if you don't have time for things like reading you are probably overschedualed. Sometimes we think all these activites are enriching our children but they are really just keeping them busy.

We read at night just before bed. It is a comforting soothing time for my kids. We have done this since they were about 3 months old.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:55 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Take 10 minutes at the end of the day before bed and read them a short story. If you have kids old enough to read, have the older one read to you and the younger ones. Encourage him or her to be expressionate. This helps with literacy on so many levels plus he/she will be modelling a positive behavior for the little ones and also feel so grown-up at the same time. I read to both my boys at the same time and then send the older one to his room to sleep when I'm done. We make it a family event :)
    TessaBianca

Answer by TessaBianca at 3:34 PM on Apr. 14, 2009