How do I help my two year old cope with a seperation?

My son is two years old and has recently started acting violent towards me. My husband and I have been seperated for the past 6 months and have agreed to a divorce. So my question is how do I help my son cope with what is going on. I try to be kind and say kind things about my husband to my son. We go on outings to the park with him occasionally but I'm afraid this is only confusing him. He dosen't outright ask for his dad but he acts out constatnly. His father tells me that he's not this way with him but I know he's more lax on rules than I am. I have been the only person parenting him for the past two years so I thought this wouldn't be much of a change for him. HELP! I want my son to understand what's going on and that it's ok to feel upset.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:48 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Relationships

• Be honest with him. Tell him you love him and aren't going anywhere. It is going to be hard he has no concept on what is going on and his life as he knew is has been thrown for a loop. He doesn't act out for Daddy because he is with you most of the time that is really all that is.

Keep your boundries and your expectations of him, and let him know what they are. Keep Disiplining him but love on him also more than you normally do, try not to leave him anywhere for too long, unless it is unavoidable like work or an appointment he can't go to. He will understand that he has a mommy and daddy who love him very much even if they aren't under the same roof but it is going to take time. If you can maybe look in to a child counsler if things don't get better to help him sort through his feelings.
    kitkat41084

Answer by kitkat41084 at 11:19 PM on Apr. 13, 2009