How did we go from Ressurection to chocolate bunnies and eggs?

Seriously, I would like to know the answer to this one. I am not a Christian and we don't celebrate the "Ressurection of Jesus" but I honestly would like to know how it is that we celebrate this holiday with chocolate bunnies and multi-colored eggs. Not to sound rude or anything but it is kinda weird to me. If someone wouldn't mind explaining, I'd appreciate it.

Mina2904

Asked by Mina2904 at 10:53 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Good question. It's the ONLY holiday that has come about for religious purposes. BUT man being man we had to commercializes it with the "easter bunny" and "dying eggs"

Easter is a moveable feast, meaning it is not fixed in relation to the civil calendar. Easter falls at some point between late March and late April each year (early April to early May in Eastern Christianity), following the cycle of the Moon.
    Cultural elements, such as the Easter Bunny and Easter egg hunts, have become part of the holiday's modern celebrations, and those aspects are often celebrated by many Christians and non-Christians alike. There are also some Christian denominations who do not celebrate Easter.
    GmaPam7257

Answer by GmaPam7257 at 11:01 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• LMAO i wanna know the answer to this one to. i think it's funny you should mention it
    Anonymous

• Commercialization. Just like every other holiday, this one too has lost its meaning.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 10:56 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• pagans
    Anonymous

• Very good question....I can't wait to see the answer.
    I do feel guilty bc Easter is the really Happy Resurrection Day but yet I just do it for the kids to have fun. I am not that much of a christian either but I do believe in God, Jesus Christ and the holy spirit.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 10:57 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Pagans didn't do it and I am offended that you said that, Anon!
    Anonymous

• Oh goodness.
    Eostre/Ostara (now known as Easter) was ORIGINALLY a Pagan holiday celebrating Spring, new life, rebirth, fertility...

CHRISTIANS took the Pagan customs and threw Jesus into the mix so that Pagans would be more likely to convert to Christianity.

Eggs and rabbits are symbolic of sex and fertility, and were symbols of the goddess Eostre/Ostara.
    Anonymous

• I am a Christian and I do celebrate the Resurrection of Jesus on Easter. This is from a bulletin on myspace.

Another little known but interesting fact, are the origins of Easter. The origin is Not Christian. Of course we celebrate it as Jesus' resurrection, but do you want to know the original origins of Easter? Believe it or not, it was actually borrowed from a pagan holiday, in which "Easter" or "Astarte" or "Ishtar", taken from "Ashtoreth" the goddess of sexual love, fertility, and war - was worshiped. (You can read about this god, spoken of in the Bible actually; 1Kings 11:33; 1Kings 11:5; 2Kings 23:13). And for greater detail on Ashtoreth/Easter you can also Google that. This goddess of fertility; thus the traditions of the "egg"; a known symbol of fertility... Thus also the tradition of rabbits or bunnies, also a known symbol of fertility due to their high reproductive rate.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 11:09 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• IT COMES FROM PAGAN BELIEFS! PRETTY MUCH ALL CATHOLIC HOLIDAYS ARE PAGAN MIXED WITH JESUS!

Anonymous

• COUNT.Feeling guilty about arriving late one spring, the Goddess Ostara or Eostre saved the life of a poor bird whose wings had been frozen by the snow. She made him her pet or, as some versions have it, her lover. Filled with compassion for him since he could no longer fly (in some versions, it was because she wished to amuse a group of young children), Ostara or Eostre turned him into a snow hare, named him Lepus, and gave him the gift of being able to run with incredible speed so he could protect himself from hunters.

In remembrance of his earlier form as a bird, she also gave him the ability to lay eggs (in all the colors of the rainbow, no less), but only on one day out of each year. which is why in the springtime, we hunt for the eggs of the Easter Bunny.

Anonymous