Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 13 year old autistic son is beginning to point and tell me "it's hurting" his private part. I know he 's talking about having a sexual feeling now. I'm getting scared now, what can i do? How i can explain this to him?

I told my husband to take care of this. But i think he needs help too.

Answer Question

Asked by keilah at 11:03 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • I would seriously consider discussing this with his physician. I am not quite sure how much he will understand, but I bet the Dr. can give you some pointers on that.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

  • I 'm not really sure of the best way would be, maybe just sit him down and talk to him, and exsplain what they are and why he's having then and what is appropriate and inapropriate about it.

    Answer by NicholeAT at 11:12 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

  • Get a book that explains everything and go over it with him.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

  • you know what your child can understand and what he cant. if it would be easier, then ask your physician to help you. but its natural and dont shame him, tell him what he can mentally understand.

    Answer by trelyn at 11:27 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

  • I don't know about the physician part. My son is autistic and when he comes to that point in his life where he feels the need to express to me what changes his body is going through I wouldn't take him to the Dr so a stranger can tell him. He is coming to you because he trusts you.

    Find an anatomy book that he is comfortable with and have your husband sit down with you and explain that he is a young man, young men go through changes and it happens to everyone.

    Since he is autistic I think he may feel singled out like something is wrong with him if you take him to a dr. I would handle it in-house. Make sure he knows this happens to everyone.

    Answer by lilbit022009 at 2:42 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

  • Talk to someone, who can help you. See how they can help you explain to your son what he's feeling. That is if he is mature enough to understand it. Get help for all three of you on how to deal with this situation.

    Answer by domiano124 at 1:13 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.