• In the Spotlight:

newborn feeding

my SIL has a 6 day old little boy she will only feed him every 4 hour bc she wants him on a schedule and he may go to sleep and only wants him to sleep at nite. also she wont allow him to have a pacifier bc he may be addicted and he loves his pacifier. is this wrong?

try4baby20

Asked by try4baby20 at 11:14 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i think its best to let him eat on his own schedule. and as for the pacifier thing...he may find his thumb and that you can't take away.
    mnadcox

Answer by mnadcox at 11:15 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Yeah, I mean if she is denying the baby to nurse. Newborns are on their own schedule and they need to eat when they are hungry. Scheduling is meant for older babies.
    dawn_misayo

Answer by dawn_misayo at 11:16 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Newborns won't take to a forced schedule. They just eat and sleep when they want. Most sleep most of the time anyway. She is being selfish and unrealistic in her expectations. I don't really know if there is anything you can do to change her behavior.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 11:22 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• A newborn baby doesn't need to be put on a schedule. He will develop his own schedule if he is fed when he is hungry. It's important for newborns to be kept warm ,dry and fed when hungry.. Pacifiers are good for fulfilling the sucking reflex and if given enough as a baby will probably have no problem giving it up. Your sister in law should understand that newborns have tiny stomachs and can't hold much milk and will need frequent feedings at first. If a babies needs are met he will be a much more happy baby and less needy as he grows older.
    Lisahi

Answer by Lisahi at 11:28 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Babies will naturally put themselves on a schedule. I used to wake my babies up to nurse, but, then I realized that I would not like someone to wake me up and force feed me if I wasn't hungry, so why should I do it to my babies? So at first, I fed the baby when they were hungry and as I said, eventually they put themselves on a schedule. It may take time, but, it definitely works.
    joannakitler

Answer by joannakitler at 11:30 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Perhaps if he is formula fed a 4 hour schedule is possible; it is much harder for babies to digest so it takes longer. I would say a 3 hour schedule is more realistic, though. If he is breastfed, she would be best served by allowing him to nurse on demand, at least in these early weeks. Not having a pacifier isn't wrong, of course, but if she is not allowing him to meet his intense need to suckle at her breast or bottle as frequently as he needs, then the pacifier takes on a whole new significance.

The idea of thinking a 6 week old baby should be sleeping at night on an adult schedule is unhealthy and unrealistic. That is simply not how babies are meant to sleep!

It seems that she doesn't have much understanding of what is reasonable to expect, and that her time would be better spent enjoying her little one during this very needy, very fleeting stage than trying to force him to live up to ill-informed expectations.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 11:31 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• That just pisses me off, when someone tries to put a newborn on a schedule. I know someone who does that, and then she complains that her baby has colic. Ummm, no. He's just hungry, he can't go four hours yet. Schedules are great for older babies, but newborns' tummies aren't big enough yet in most cases. The paci is completely up to her, though. As long as she does her best to comfort him in other ways, there's nothing wrong with refusing to give a paci.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 11:33 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• It's an invitation to failure to thrive. Do her a favor and throw out her clocks. Schedules are for buses, not babies.

The baby will get one aschedule when baby is ready to do so. What mom wants has nothing at all to do with it. (And that will often be the case.)

Answer by gdiamante at 11:39 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• babies should eat every 3 hrs at least. when they are younger they really cant be put on a shedule. and babies will not get addicted to a pacifier they need the comffort of sucking!!!!
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 11:42 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Is she reading a book called Babywise?
    Anonymous