Is this normal for a 3 year old girl? HELP

My daughter asked me to touch her pee pee. Does anyone elses kids do this? Should I be alarmed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:16 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i would be concerned. i would ask her where she got that idea
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:18 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I have a 3 year old daughter, and she has never done that... I would be pretty alarmed if she said that to me... I was molested as a child so that would be my first reaction... "Who's touching my daughter!?!" But sometimes kids say the darndest things, so it could be nothing... Are you the one who takes care of her mostly?? Watch the people you leave her with, and always make sure she is safe... Good Luck. Hope my answer didn't freak you out, I'm just trying to be straight and let you know that there are a bunch of sickos out there that you have to watch out for.
    Anonymous

• Ummm Honey, children do and say very weird stuff. The trick is not to let it bother you too much. You just explain to her, that is not appropriate (as this is the time to go into how no one is allowed to touch that area, etc etc) Afterall, she has no way of knowing that unless you explain it to her. Don't make a big deal out of it and don't go talking about it in front of her to other people... that is so wrong.
    Anonymous

• Maybe she saw something on TV? Did you ask her why? I remember when I was a kid I asked my mom to kiss me like they do on TV. She had to explain that only Mommies and Daddies kiss that way. Kids don't always understand what sort of touch is appropriate. You might think about having a talk with her about appropriate touching and tell her that she should always tell you right away if someone touches her in a bad way. Don't get too alarmed right away though. It really could be something she saw on TV.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 11:20 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• This can be totally normal; it can also be a red flag that abuse may have occurred. My daughter said something like this to me when she was three, something about tickling her "gina"... it was totally innocent and not a problem - I simply gently and calmly repeated our rule that her vagina is private, it's special for her, and that it's not for others to touch. It wasn't a problem.

To most children, it's simply a body part like any other, and why it's okay for you to touch her back or ear and not her pee pee doesn't really register. If there was something that seemed to be darker than this simple sheer innocence and childhood ignorance, that is something you would have to look into a bit more.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 11:23 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I Would ask her where she haerd that and explaign that it is provate and to tell you if someone does touch her there/
    kitkat41084

Answer by kitkat41084 at 11:43 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• My 3 yr old came running..... hauling butt, excited as all get out, when he figured out that his penis would get hard (of course it meant he had to pee) but he was excited and wanted to show me.... and later the same year , he climbed right up on the couch when it was bedtime and planted a kiss on me like you've never seen.... I was trying to paw him off me, my ex was rolling in the floor. When he stopped I told him that big, mouth kisses were for daddy's and mommy's... he said " I wubz you big, I kiss you big"..... it was so hard to argue with that.... but he didn't do it anymore. Thank goodness. Anyhow.... ask her why, and ask her to show you where she saw it.... it may be something none of us are thinking.... then again it may be what some might fear.... ask, monitor and don't stop till you're comfortable with why she asked you that.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 11:46 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Ask her where she heard that? Might be something, might be nothing. My son tries to kiss me on the mouth because he sees my husband do it. It freaked me out at first and I popped his butt and told him NO! He just looked at me and cried saying it's because he loves me and I'm his best girl. But I had to explain to him he can give Mommy a quick kiss (peck) but no long kisses, Daddy's give Mommy's long kisses and he's not old enough to be a Daddy. He doesn't try that with me anymore.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 9:13 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• my pediatrician told me that it is totally normal for some children to do this...you should feel comfortable enough to discuss this with your pediatrician...
    amwb1201

Answer by amwb1201 at 1:07 AM on Apr. 23, 2009