Dental work

Bad news for me at the dentist's. Because I grind my teeth in my sleep, the enamel on my molars has worn down and I need FIVE fillings. (One is actually a replacement...I wore out the filling!) I also need a root planing because I'm so bad about flossing.

And I need a dental guard for bedtime.

So...my questions:

How bad is the root planing? Do I really need the "optional" and *expensive* antibacterial rinse for each quadrant? Will I really need a deep cleaning every three months after that, forever? Any way of reversing this?

How uncomfortable is the dental guard? Is it custom molded? If not, why the heck does it cost so much?

I'm scheduled back for the first cleaning in two weeks.

Asked by gdiamante at 11:25 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• dental guards are custom molded. they cram a bunch of playdoh like crap in your mouth to make a mold, and it always makes me gag. the final guard is not uncomfortable to me. but if you are getting headaches from the grinding, this may not help. no, you WILL not need the planing every three months, if you take care of your gums and teeth. my mom has a weird gum disease (caused by rheumatic fever at age 5) and only has hers done once a year. basically it is just a super deep cleaning that goes below the gum. i have no idea about the rinse.
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 12:04 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• The only advice I can give you is starting from now on take care of your teeth!
    It gets very pricey when this sort of thing happens, I hate going to the dentist. But now that I am older now I understand how important it is to brush and floss, it is one of those things you wish you knew back then. I really don't know why it is sooo very expensive I don't like that part either.
    Just relax and let them take care of you I am sure they will not do anything to hurt you on purpose.
    Take Care!
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 12:08 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• "The only advice I can give you is starting from now on take care of your teeth!"

**smile** The terrible thing is the doc says I've done fine except for not flossing! Brushing has neve ever been a problem for me, just the flossing.

I actually made it to age 42 without a cavity. I'm 45 now, and I managed to already wear down that one filling.

I am going to get better on the flossing. I can't get away with not doing that any more.

I'm not really worried about pain. It's just nice to know what to expect.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:22 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I'm a dental hygienist. I'll explain what has happened. Plaque and tartar forms on everyon's teeth. Both are loaded with bacteria. When the bacteria gets trapped between the tooth and gums your body thinks there is an infection. It's on the outside of the tissue where your body can't get to it so the body begins attacking the tissue instead.
    In time the body begins attacking the bone your teeth sit in. This is what causes the need for root planing. Grinding your teeth also contributes to the problem.
    Once there has been bone loss we can't give you back the bone so the space remains (pockets) Tooth brushing and floosing can't get to the bottom of the pockets - yes, you will most likely need to stay on a 3 month schedule.
    The rinse is used to help kill the bacteria that caused the pockets and will help the healing process.
    Don't worry about pain. You might be a little sore.
    PM me if you have any other questions.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 7:03 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I just got planing done and was crying when they told me I have peridontal disease. I thought it was just a few cavities! It wasn't very bad, the shots were the worst part. She told me to use a salt-water rinse and Listerine. Didn't say anything about every 3 mos, but it's a dental clinic to they only do one quandrant a month, maybe she'll mention that after she's finished with my mouth lol. But I'll do basically anything-within a certain financial window-to save my teeth!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Apr. 14, 2009