Everything is done late in this house from breakfast to dinner,its like now I'm not concerned with getting things done on time.I might be under too much stress and I would like for any single mom with a toddler plus an autistic adult who's my niece I've raised froma baby how to eliminate the stress so I won't have a nervous breakdown or my first heart attack before age 44?

wandaluv

Asked by wandaluv at 11:33 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• This might not work for you, but it really helped me through a hectic time when I was absolutely overwhelmed: the first thing that occurred to me was maybe not worrying so much about what time things are supposed to happen? I know that living with someone with autism, that may be difficult as schedules can be quite important for them - but it sounds like your schedule isn't consistent AND you have stress over it. Perhaps just for a little while, you could practice accepting your inconsistent schedule - let it be what it is, without stressing over it. I just know that when I finally decided to just enjoy the life that I had, no matter what time we were having breakfast or going to bed, that it did wonders for me. Giving up that attachment to "this isn't what it's supposed to look like!" and saying, "this IS what it looks like"... it was a huge difference. And it gave me the mental space to revisit it when I was ready.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 11:43 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Xanax?? Seriously, you might need to get yourself on an anti-anxiety medication, it sounds like you might need it.
    Anonymous

• Maybe it's b/c you have been on the computer asking questions all day lol. I'm not being mean, just an observation.
    Anonymous

• You definitely have a good reason to feel stressed! I would suggest checking into respite care for your neice. There are different agencies that will pay for someone to care for adults in your home so that you can have a break. We have an agency called Scope 310. You can contact vocational rehabilitation for resources. Hiring a babsitter at least once a week would be good for your stress. You need to make time for yourself.
    Lisahi

Answer by Lisahi at 11:47 PM on Apr. 13, 2009