Phonics

Has anybody tried the Scholastic Phonic Program? I bought it, it was so expensive, they said it was for a wide range of children, but it seems a little hard for my 3 year old! I wish they would have told me that when I ordered it... She loves Phonics but I think this program is more for older kids!

pamelajqs

Asked by pamelajqs at 11:42 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• A phonics program like that would be more for 1st graders and even older kids. See if you can return it. Your daughter might become frustrated and it could give her a bad taste in her mouth for learning.

For kids her age you may want to focus more on the different sounds in language and not the actual letters.  Lots of rereading favorite books and reading rhyming books is important.  Nursery rhymes and songs are also vital.  Skills like rhyming and changing sounds in words are the building blocks for reading.  If she has lots of exposure she will be more than ready for phonics instruction when she gets a little older.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 12:41 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I don't understand why one needs a "program" to teach phonics or reading.

Teach through play if you feel your preschooler needs to have grade school skills.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:33 AM on Apr. 14, 2009