Vatican blocks Caroline Kennedy appointment as US ambassador

Vatican sources told Il Giornale that their support for abortion disqualified Ms Kennedy and other Roman Catholics President Barack Obama had been seeking to appoint.

Does anyone else think Obama or his people are just pulling names out of hats with zero background checks? He keeps appointing people to positions that either lack experience or have intrests and (tax) troubles stand in direct contrast to the job they are supposed to perform!

momof030404

Asked by momof030404 at 11:45 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• plylerjones I'm sorry, but since when does the Vatican dictate US policy?

I equate this to (for example) Obama appointing an orthodox Jew to be the US Ambassador to Iran (if there was still such a thing). Either Obama's "people" are not doing their homework or Obama is trying to make an example of the Pope/Catholics beliefs, jmo. Caroline Kennedy was not the first attempt at appointment. There have been others and all others have been denied by the Vatican for beliefs that are against the Catholic Church.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:20 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 11:45 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Oh, make an individual who was Nazi Youth did not disqualify him to become the next Pope. Pot, Kettle, black.
    Anonymous

You should be a little more informed before making such a stupid comment. Service in the Nazi Youth was mandatory for 14 year olds. The Pope's father was very anti Nazi. The Pope was drafted into the German infantry and later deserted from it. There's more but you can look it up yourself.

Pot, kettle??........are you anti-christian or just anti-Catholic.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:47 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Caroline Kennedy.... Why?
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 12:53 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• No Op, but I do think you're pulling reasons out of your rear to hate Obama....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:06 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• have intrests and (tax) troubles stand in direct contrast to the job they are supposed to perform!

I think that what he is trying to do is appoint people who have different beliefs in order to challenge him to help make the best decisions possible. I know that when I am at work and someone has a different view than i do on a project it sometimes works out where the two of us make something amazing because we have completely different thought processes.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:37 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I'm sorry, but since when does the Vatican dictate US policy? I'm not even an Obama supporter but I certainly don't think the Vatican can tell us what to do. So they don't like his choice - they can get over it or die mad for all I care.
    I'm a pro-choice Republican (yeah, I know, an oxymoron) and if the Vatican wants to excommunicate me that's fine - God and I will sort it out later. Not really interested in the Pope's political opinion, although I'm sure he's a nice enough fella.
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 6:16 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I really just can't figure Obama's appointments out. Is his judgment seriously this bad? I mean, isn't he supposed to be at least reasonably intelligent? Why has he had such a hard time making appointments for ALL these various positions? Treasury secretary with tax problems? Pro-abortion ambassador to the Vatican?The list goes on and on. Is Obama really this out of touch? It's frightening to me how little good judgment he has.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:57 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Anon:37 "I think that what he is trying to do is appoint people who have different beliefs in order to challenge him to help make the best decisions possible. "

I totally agree!!!

Theres trying to fit the person for the job and then theres bowing down to what everyone wants in an appointee.

Well said Anon! Well said!
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 1:49 PM on Apr. 14, 2009