I'm not enjoying motherhood too much and haven't since my son was born.I'm 43 years old and I've raised my autistic niece since birth I'm now a mother of a very active 4 year old wishing for my life where there was nobody to be responsible for.I love my son because I'm all he has but the tendency of mothering is not there.Iknow I gave birth to him but I feel like I'm his sister than a mother leaving me powerless when it comes to disciplining him,what's wrong with me besides depression?

wandaluv

Asked by wandaluv at 11:45 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• oh honey i was the same way and some days i still am.... i felt like my sons babysitter until he was 11 months. i definitely think its depression. prozac works for me
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 11:47 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• It just sounds like depression to me.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 11:46 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• have you gone threw the change yet???
    Anonymous

• From some of the other posts I've seen you post on here, you really need to look into some help. Talk to a doctor. He/she can prescribe some antidepression medication that can do wonders to your outlook on life and your family. I went through PPD and it can be tough, but the medication helped dramatically! Please, for the sake of your family, seek some professional help.
    Anonymous

• Yes, depression. Maybe a little "woe is me." You have to choose to be happy. Get help if you need it because your son deserves to have the best you he can get! He also deserves and needs a mom who loves him enough to discipline him. You think your life is hard now? Keep letting him go undisciplined. Your life will be hellacious and he will become a drain on society.

Anonymous

• Postpartum depression can last for years without you knowing it..... But still, you want to be reassured that you're okay..... sorry, you're probably not okay. You're tired, and a 4 yr old is a huge, huge handful. You need to get with doctor soon, and you need to start scheduling "Me Time" just for you... you gotta reconnect with your adult self, your sense of belonging on some level other than a mother and caretaker.... hang in there honey, get to a doctor and get aggressive about treatment.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 11:50 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• You are probably worn out physically and metally. Look for resources to help you with your neice. You need to make yourself a priority and exercise, eat a healthy diet and get plenty of rest. If you feel better you will be a better mother to your son. If he is not disciplined as a toddler you may have major problems when he is older.
    Lisahi

Answer by Lisahi at 11:52 PM on Apr. 13, 2009