Does anyone know of any remedies for molluscum contagiosum?

Found out my 3yr old has this. It is on and around his neck. About cried when we found out there was no cure, and that it would go away on its on but could take up to a year. We have tried aldara cream but that didn't help. I really want something that will help this go away and not spread. Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:47 PM on Apr. 13, 2009 in Kids' Health

• My 4 year old had that. It is so frustrating. It lasted for about 6 months. We ended up going to the beach and the salt water helped alot. A few weeks later he started a new daycare and they kept it cold cold in there and in a matter of about two weeks it was gone. I figured keeping it dry and cold helped alot.....
    Anonymous

• You could try lavendar essential oil or tea tree oil. Both are antiviral. I don't think you should give it by mouth though. Have you consulted a naturopath?
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 2:06 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• no just his pediatrician, thanks though!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• What is it? Is it a skin condition, dermatological? Take him to a specialist instead of his pediatrician.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:51 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• My daughters both had it on their arms. First off, as yuck as it sounds you have to the nodules out. I read this in multiple places on the net. You just have to be very clean about it. It should not hurt, but may bleed a bit. They will NOT heal unless you get the little white hard center out. Nothing else comes out but that little bit, not like a pimple where there is extra pus. You might have to use twezeers but most of them I was able to just pick them off with my VERY CLEAN and disinfected finger nail.  Then I put salicylic acid on it in the form of acne medication (the kind that is sold as wart remover is too harsh for sensitive areas like necks, arms & faces) & also Eucerine cream on an areas that looked very dry.  I kept bandaids on the wost looking spots. Took about 2 weeks but its all healed up on both of them now.

Anonymous

• sorry for typos! hope you got the idea.
    Anonymous

• Oh I almost forgot, I ALSO put cold sore medication, Abreva, on them too. So really not sure which thing actually got rid of them but I figured since the dr. said she couldnt give me anything to help, I was willing to try ANYTHING within reason.
    Anonymous