Do you think its wrong to be in your 40's or older and have a baby?

Most think this is wrong due to many reasons....down syndrom, not having the energy to raise a child, or more risks associated with old age....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:03 AM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree with pp. I dont understand why they want to especially with the known risks to the baby.
    But wanting it with all the risks is "wrong" to do to the baby. My neice has down syndrom due to her mother having her in her 40's. It's not something to take lightly, nor is it fair to that child. Be responsible and caring, not selfish!
    Anonymous

• LOL.. I thank there are MANY women who are going to take issue with 40 being referred to as "old age"!
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 12:04 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• not at all
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 12:05 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Well I meant as your child grows obviously the mother will too.....getting into old age sooner than later when you have a baby so late in life
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:06 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I think risks to the baby start even in your 30's is what I've heard. I had mine in my twenties, and I'm done for sure
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Who says "most" think it's wrong? I don't think it's wrong.
    MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 12:26 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Thanks. Glad to know I am old. LOL

I am 41 and we would have another if we could. I had to have an emergency hysterectomy a few years ago. Even if I had one at 45, I would only be 65 when they were 20. Gee, that is barely retirement age!

Risks start when a woman turns 30. There is very good testing available for things such as Down's Syndrome. A couple can always make a choice. I couldn't but it is available. If a woman has a planned pregnancy later she should do so knowing the possible outcome and be ready to deal with it.

Your question made me think of "change" babies! My Mamo had my Mom when she thought she was through menopause! My Mom was born at 6.5 months gestation in 1946. She is happy healthy and has 3 children. Gotta love a miracle! -smiling now-
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:30 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I spent my 20's caring for a sick mother, and odds are in favor of any child born that late having to do the same. That's not to say I don't think anyone should be allowed, but I wouldn't want to.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:33 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• "Even if I had one at 45, I would only be 65 when they were 20. Gee, that is barely retirement age!"

No, but do you realize that is senior citizen age.....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• No.
    Yes, the risk of down's is higher but even a 20 year old can have a child with down's or other problems as 2 of my neighbors know. I have far more patience now than when I was younger and just as much energy. I'm also in a far better financial position - when I was younger, I would have had to put my child in daycare instead of being a stay at home mom.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:37 AM on Apr. 14, 2009