service dogs and aggression

My dog was just attacked by a service dog and nearly had her ear torn off. My dog was eating her food, when the service dog pushed her away, then snapped at her. My dog is a 35 pound Corgi mix, and the service dog was an 85 pound Rhodesian Ridgeback. Isn't there some requirement that they not be aggressive since they have access to all sectors of the public? Is there some way to get their service dog license/certification revoked for demonstrating aggressive behavior? The owner's excuse was that the service dog didn't have his vest on.

Busimommi

Asked by Busimommi at 12:04 AM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Pets

• i would call animal control and ask them what if anything can be done. they are supposed to have certain personality traits since like you said they have access to all areas of the public, just b/c it wasn't wearing a vest doesn't mean it should attack another animal. thats like saying my dog didn't have his leash so he bit your kid. so in other words b/c you couldn't control the animal with a physical hold on it than its uncontrolable....sorry that just pisses me off. call animal control see what they say
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:09 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Well...dog aggression is a very different thing than human aggression, especially with a breed like that. However still I would think that due to all of the exposure a service dog would have to other animals they should probably not choose a candidate with dog aggression...if your dog isn't hurt just let it go, that IS someone's service animal after all.
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 1:17 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Nearly having an ear torn off IS hurt, especially in a corgi or corgi mix, where the ears are so very large compared to the rest of the dog.
    A service dog must not be dog aggressive or start fights because the human they are helping could be hurt in a fight they start. They are only to attack another dog to protect their human, and they are never to attack any human under any circumstances, since some in the past prevented EMT's or other help from rescuing their people, thinking they were protecting them. .
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 1:32 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Well like I said, dog aggression does not lead to human aggression, they are two completely different ballparks. It's common in some of the larger breeds, trust me.

But you said the dog snapped at your dog, you didn't say it almost ripped off its ear. I said it's probably not a good trait in a service dog but I would still let it go if my dog didn't get hurt.
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 1:35 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Nevermind I missed the first line...so I'm confused, did the dog have her ear bit or just get snapped at without making contact?
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 1:39 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• My son has a service dog . If the dog is not WORKING when the incident occurs , there is nothing you can do to stop the person from maintaining their service animal. If the animal was WORKING, and wearing its vest, you can go through the ADA ( Americans with Disabilities Office) and file a formal complaint.
    I dont understand how this incident occurred either, where was your dog eating that some random dog walked up to it , tried to bite it and tried to eat its food? Food is a dicey thing for all dogs, when food or treats are involved, all bets are out the window for dogs , and aggression happens when one dog has food or a treat and the other dog doesent.
    Mom2PunkRockers

Answer by Mom2PunkRockers at 5:34 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• The service dog is a Rhodesian Ridgeback? Can I ask what the dog's duties are? The service dog programs don't typically use a dog bred for LION HUNTING and GUARDING in their programs. It sounds like this disabled person got his/her own dog, had it trained , then had it certified on their own.

But I have to agree with Mom2PunkRockers...if the dog wasn't wearing a vest at the time, then it wasn't working. But that doesn't give it free reign to run at large and bite unsuspecting dogs. The owner should still have complete control over it at all times (I believe that is a state law in almost every state), but especially when there is food involved. Again, I agree with Mom2PunkRockers... food can make even the most well-trained dogs react purely on instinct. If the dogs were not part of the same pack, then you should not feed them together. Can you explain more about the circumstances, please?
    Kauna

Answer by Kauna at 8:13 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Kauna ...answerd it perfectly!
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 10:02 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Is he a service dog to someone with a disability or a therapy dog? If he's a therapy dog then any breed or even a mutt can be a therapy dog. I'd also like to know more details about why your dog was eating food and a random dog came up to it. My dogs who are normally very sweet have gotten into fights over food. One of them now eats in her crate until the other is done. Other than small treats that are eaten quickly I would never feed either of my girls around other dogs unless they were crated. I've heard of a lot of dogs getting into fights at dog parks over food. It just not a good idea to have food around dogs you are unfamiliar with.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:57 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I've actually read that they are very good dogs, and very very loyal. The only advice that I have read was not to have them around small children bc they might get too excited and knock them down. If you are wanting to go down the "it was breed for..." road...there are so many dogs that were breed to get dangerous animals (the dachshund was for badgers and those are some mean animals...and the dachshunds are TINY)
    I don't think he meant to hurt the dog, I think it was more of a "back off" situation. A lot of dogs do this, and it doesn't matter what the size.
    Anonymous