stay at home mom wants custody of baby, please help with advice.

Im a stay at home mom. I was married last year in June when I was 6months pregnant. 15days after i was married I found out that my husband was trying to hire prostitutes from the internet. I have been trying to make the marriage work but he told me he never loved me and that he just married me because I got pregnant. I have no money saved, and no job because i have been a stay at home mom. I cant find any free lawyers in my area (legal aid is always busy) Im all alone in the state of Texas, no family or friends. please help me figure this out fellow mommies. I have considered going to a transitional shelter but my husband said that if I do that the court will decide I am unfit to have custody of the baby. I have been taking care of the baby almost all day everyday because my husband hardly helps. He yells at me all the time over anything. Anyone have any advice for me? He is receiving unemployment and foodstamps to support us.

help4singlemom

Asked by help4singlemom at 12:25 AM on Apr. 14, 2009 in Relationships

• How are you getting food stamps and unemployment and not getting TANF?? Where in Texas are you....? Have you tried 211?
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 12:31 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Can you get a job and qualify for childcare assistance?
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 12:57 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• I would say go to the shelter, most courts would understand that you have been a stay at home mom especially as the baby is an infant. They do give you precedence because you are the primary caretaker of the child. Also with going to a shelter, you would be able to qualify for support that would help you get a job. My guess is that they would award you at least temp custody and then you would have like 90 days to get a job.
    You could always call the shelter and ask what their experience is with women in this situation and the courts.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 1:21 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• There's a lot of women living in transitional shelters with children. So your husband is crazy saying that the courts will take your child just for that. I'm not sure how it is there but here in Florida the shelters really help you get what you deserve. They help you with school (for yourself), they help you find a job and teach you HOW to find a job. It's a blessing for a lot of women.
    If your husband isn't working and only getting unemplyment, what makes him think he's in a better position that you'd be in a safe shelter?
    Good luck and I hope everything works out for you.
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 1:37 AM on Apr. 14, 2009

• Some men try to make their wives or SO believe that the courts would not give a baby to a SAHM. That is bull, he is trying to scare you into staying. The courts would understand you needing to be at home with your baby. Good luck to you Mama. We are all here if you need more advice.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 2:09 AM on Apr. 14, 2009